[Controlcambios-bdoo] surp

Andrulis Delvalle connoted at h2.odn.com
Wed Mar 31 20:25:34 CEST 2010

 wrong. I know it, and the
Koshare know it also. They may know more, much more than I could
wish," he added, and looked into her eyes
with a searching sorrowful glance. An awful suspicion lay in this
penetrating look. Her
face flushed, she bent her head to avoid his gaze. To the gloomy talk
succeeded a still more gloomy silence. Then the woman lifted her
head, and began entreatingly,-- "My father, I do not ask you to tell
me how you come to know all this;
but tell me, umo, what are these Delight Makers, the Koshare? At
every dance they appear and always make merry. The people feel glad
when they see them. They must be very wise. They know of everything
going on, and
drag it before the people to excite their mirth at the expense of
others. How is it that they know so much? I am but a woman,
and the ways
of the men are not

mine," she raised her face and her eyes flamed; "but since I hear
that the Delight Makers wish me no good, I want to know at least what
those enemies of mine are."
The old man lowered his glance and sighed.
"My child," he began softly, "when I was
young and a boy like your son Okoya, I cared little about the
Koshare. Now I have learned more." He leaned his head against the
wall, pressed his lips firmly
together, and continued, "The holders of the paths of our lives,
those who can close them when the time

comes for us to go to Shipapu, where there is neither sorrow nor
pain, have many agents among us. P[=a]yatyama our Father, and
Sanashtyaya our Mother saw that the world existed ere there
was light, and so the tribe lived in the dark. Four are the wombs in
which people grew up and lived, ere Maseua and Oyoy[=a]u[=a] his
brother led them to where
we are now, and this world which is round like a shield is the fourth
womb." The woman listened with childlike eagerness. Her parted lips
and sparkling eyes testified that everything was
new to her. "Father," she interrupted, "I knew nothing of this. You
are very wise. But why are women never told such things?" "Don't cut
off my speech,"
he said. "Because women are so forward, that is why many things are
concealed from them." "But," she continued, heedless of his rebuke,
"where are the other three worlds?" "This question I shall answer,"
he said, "for it is wise in you to speak so. Haatze the earth is
round and flat, but it is also thick like a cake. The other three
wombs are down below inside, one beneath the other. At Shipapu the
people came out upon this world
which is the fourth womb, but it was
cold and da