[Care2x-general] Fw: Re: [Care2002-developers] about patients and personnel in the same table

Walter Nunez admin en ciberneticamedica.com
Lun Nov 15 15:14:37 CET 2004

One word about encryption:

In Linux, with the new 2.6.8.x kernel (which btw
seems to be quite stable, after 6 months of testing),
you have native (loop) filesystem encryption,
if want it. So, you have a passphrase and
if the system is stopped or rebooted, you cannot
read the original data, you need to write to
passphrase first in order to access the encrypted
filesystem, then for that session the encryption
is transparent, I mean, people who may access by
any means your running computer, may read the
'encrypted' data.

The 2.4.x kernel need a patch to do that, or you may
use a no-native implementation (cloop ?? I am not sure)

In Windows I know about a (proprietary) solution
named 'PGPDisk' which lets you create an encrypted
folder and there you may store your mysql data. The
result is the same as above.

MySQL dosen't have (as I know) native 'storing'
encryption support (it may have 'transmition'
encryption with OpenSSL, if compiled so)

--
Daniel Ignat
PHP Programmer and SysAdmin

Walter Nunez wrote:
> I understand of similar way, a hospital's employee gets sick and himself
> becomes that hospital's patient.
> This is a question of two developers Alejandro del Garate and Juan
> Rossano, the main aspect will be the security of the data of the patient..
> They have so much experience in HIS at argentinian hospitals.
> My first answer was about  database encryption in the near future and redundancy of data,
> but thinking about the future and the political decision to implementing
it, we could have all the possible answers and variants

--
Walter Alfonso Núnez Rivera
Médico - Programador