[Bdi4emc-help] hard drive crash

David Szakovits dszakovits at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 13 17:27:09 CEST 2008

   thank you.
   fyi, this is a recap of how it turned out, to my recollection.
   we took a power hit.  video quit.  changed to onboard video.  machine
   failed to boot, but had video.  switched back to video card.  no
   video.  took video card out reseated it.   then the card worked, but
   fsck seemed to "get stuck" forever.  i tried rebooting a few times
   with the same result.  so i figured the disk was bad or i would at
   least need to reload the os.
   i really wanted to recover my configuration files and my home
   directory so i put the disk into a different machine and did the fsck
   on it.  this however went smoothly so i decided to try the drive
   again, in the mill.  what do you know,  i have bdi-4.51 running
   again.   it hasn't caused any trouble since, so i will leave well
   enough alone.
   of course, none of this makes sense.  following the video card events
   perhaps reseating the hard drive did the trick???
   but, i will save your email for the inevitable future.
   djs
   Paul wrote:

Hi David

Sorry about the delay - Been out of the country without internet access...