[Bdi4emc-help] hard drive crash

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Mon May 12 21:28:43 CEST 2008

Hi David

Sorry about the delay - Been out of the country without internet access...

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, David Szakovits wrote:
> i was running bdi 4.51 but had a hard drive crash.   fsck seems to have
> endless errors.  so looks like i have to reload the os.  the mill was
> doing everything i need it to so it makes sense just to return it that
> configuration and avoid any experimentation.  but i am wondering if i
> can run emc under a recent release of ubuntu rather than load bdi4emc
> onto a new disk.

You can use just about any distribution to run EMC - I used to use Red Hat
then another RPM based distro before some real nasty upgrade issues bit hard.
As long as you have a 2.6.xx series realtime kernel (using the RTAI patches)
installed, there shouldn't be any major problem. You will need to compile
from the sources (which can be found on the CD) to ensure correct linkage to
the installed libraries, kernel, and RTAI versions.

Regards, Paul.