[Bdi4emc-help] max pulse rate

David Szakovits dszakovits at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 15:06:58 CET 2008

   thanks.  i have lost the bdi iso.  can i get source for emc(1) from
   cvs?   or is it on the  bdi4.51 iso?
   djs
   Paul wrote:

Hi David

On Saturday 05 January 2008 20:57, David Szakovits wrote:

i am configuring a system with emc2/ubuntu.   when axis comes up it
complains that the max pulse rate is 10111 hz.   when i reduce max
velocity to stay within this constraints my turntable is rotating fairly
slowly.

A 10KHz max is pretty poor - I suspect even Mach3 would do better than that.

my mill is using bd1-4.51 and quickstep and appears to be
capable of quite a bit higher pulse rate.  does anyone know if this is
true or should i look for some errors on my part in the configuration
files for emc2.

On a 433MHz celeron I use for testing, 30KHz is quite easily achieved,
however, last time I attempted to run emc2, 15-20KHz was about the best I
could get. Others have also commented on the poor performance of emc2, so you
are unlikely to have any serious errors in the configuration.

is it straightforward to run emc on a emc2 machine?

(assuming you mean that emc2 Live CD) You would need to compile from source,
for which you will need kernel & RTAI headers for the installed kernel, gcc,
g++, tk8.4-dev, and perhaps a couple of other development tools/libraries.
Chances are, none of them are included on the CD, so you will have to
download the packages from somewhere.

Regards, Paul.