[Bdi4emc-help] SATA drives

Matt Timmermans mt0000 at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 2 16:07:00 CEST 2007

>I recently added a SATA drive to my desktop/dev system over christmas and
>it
>appeared as /dev/sda*. Must admit, the boot partition is still on an IDE
>drive - Another box that uses all SCSI drives boots OK, so based on the
>assumption that SATA emulates SCSI, I would have expected the current BDI-4
>kernel to work.

Oh, that's encouraging.  I'm getting a kernel panic because it can't find
/dev/sda2 to mount the root FS.  If the modules are there, though, maybe I
can get it to work with an initrd.

>A couple of questions - Was this a fresh install with grub being installed
>in
>the MBR or was it copied over from an IDE partition wholesale ?

I replicated the partition from the old IDE drive and made a GRUB boot disk.
  When it didn't work, I put an upgraded kernel and modules from the DBI
4.51 next to the old ones in /boot and /lib so I can try booting either
kernel.

>MoBo specs and chipset ?
>(The JMicron chipset needs 2.6.18 or later to work properly, although I
>don't
>think that is an issue here.)

It's an Asus P4C800 with intel 875P:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=30&model=176&modelmenu=1

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get that initrd thing working.

Cheers,

Matt