[Bdi4emc-help] SATA drives

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Mon Apr 2 11:35:34 CEST 2007

Hi Matt

On Monday 02 April 2007 03:38, Matt Timmermans wrote:
> I recently installed some shiny new SATA drives, and haven't been able to
> boot into BDI since -- the 2.6.16.20-rtai kernel seems not to recognize
> them.

I recently added a SATA drive to my desktop/dev system over christmas and it
appeared as /dev/sda*. Must admit, the boot partition is still on an IDE
drive - Another box that uses all SCSI drives boots OK, so based on the
assumption that SATA emulates SCSI, I would have expected the current BDI-4
kernel to work.

> Any idea how I could fix that?  I can boot slax with a 2.6.16 kernel, or
> bdi 4.51 anaconda, and those both give me access to the BDI partition on
> the new drive.

A couple of questions - Was this a fresh install with grub being installed in
the MBR or was it copied over from an IDE partition wholesale ?

MoBo specs and chipset ?
(The JMicron chipset needs 2.6.18 or later to work properly, although I don't
think that is an issue here.)

Regards, Paul.