[Bdi4emc-help] Should I be going to Emc 2 now?

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Mon Oct 9 02:42:48 CEST 2006

Hi Andy

On Sunday 08 October 2006 14:27, Andy wrote:
> Hey guys thanks for the help I am going to try that here in a little bit
> and see if it works.

Always a pleasure to help out where I can..

> Should I be going to Emc 2 now?

If you just need a reliable package for a stepper (or servo) driven mill, then
the answer is probably not. If you need to run a mixed servo/stepper system
and can live with the bugs when they bite, and/or have a need for some of the
experimental "features", possibly..

Would I recommend it as a viable upgrade - At present, an emphatic no (ask me
why later..).

> How much of a change is the set up?

The configuration is split across several files, each with their own syntax.
You may be lucky and find one of the default set works with just a few minor
edits..

There is a set of emc2 packages in the repository so you can take it for a
test without it breaking the rest of your install.

Regards, Paul.