[Bdi4emc-help] Re: [Emc-users] New BDI-4 packages.

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Mar 29 17:47:59 CEST 2006

Paul,
Each time you change your kernel version, you have to change the files
debian/control, debian/rules and debian/emc2.files to reflect the kernel
version.

You did this once to change it from the original to 2.6.12.6-rtai, so I
don't understand why you didn't simply change it again for 2.6.16.

If you wanted to create a good experience for your users, you should
publish a package based on the files tagged TESTING, not the HEAD
version of a particular day.  This is what Chris does when he builds the
debian packages for Ubuntu.

Until Paul has straightened this out, I recommend following the
instructions on the emc wiki to build emc2 TESTING on bdi4 machines.
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?BDI-4_38_Compile_EMC2
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Testing
If you run into problems because of Paul's kernel upgrade, please let me
know; if you can update the instructions on the wiki, even better.

Jeff
PS If you have patches or advice about how the emc2 debian/ directory
can be enhanced so it does not hard-code kernel version numbers, please
let the emc2 developers know.  I'd be pleased to incorporate any patches
that improve the packaging of emc2 into .debs.