[Bdi4emc-help] lsattr/chown problem on bdi-4.30

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 4 02:34:31 CET 2006

Greetings;

I'm attempting to setup an rsync backup of the emc2 directory of this
install but am running into permission problems.

Having mounted the share with samba, I moved the password file rsync
uses to /etc/rsync on the box, doing mkdirs as I went since the rsync
dir didn't exist in the as installed state for bdi-4.30.  I've also
made a softlink from /etc/rc1.d/S50rsync to /etc/init.d/rsync and
started the daemon.

Now I'd like to run the backup as the user that normally runs emc since
apparently root isn't to be trusted and rsync returns a no permission
error when told to be root, but even as root, an lsattr returns only
bad flag errors, and a chown returns a "no permissions" error to change
the ownership of that password file.

How do I get around this, I'm quite used to root being all powerfull on
all my machines.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: