[Bdi4emc-help] Question regarding compiling EMC BDI-4.38

jepler at unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Thu Mar 2 21:19:48 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:24:47PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> Option 2 is reportedly broken and last I heard, it is not recommended to do an
> install from the head of the emc2 tree.

That's right.  For BDI systems, I think the best way to try emc2 is to
use "run in place".  This won't write any files outside of the emc2
directory, so you won't "overwrite" anything.

After checking out the HEAD or TESTING version of emc2, and installing
the additional development packages needed, you configure and build it
like this:
    cd emc2/src
    ./configure --enable-run-in-place
    make && sudo make install
Then, in the emc2 directory you run
    scripts/emc2
and can choose a configuration file from the menu.

One of the two machines I use to develop AXIS is BDI4.  I test AXIS
against emc2, as well as Paul's version of emc.

If you run into problems building or using emc2 on a bdi4 system, the
developers of emc2 would like to know about it.

Jeff