[Bdi4emc-help] Question regarding compiling EMC BDI-4.38

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Thu Mar 2 17:24:47 CET 2006

Hi Sion

Mali Simon    ITPSD2 wrote:
> I hope that you can help me with my problem regarding compiling EMC on
> BDI-4.38. When I use ./configure I get output:
>
> Can not compile realtime code for 2.6 series kernels.
>
> I use 2.6.12.6-rtai kernel. All configuration is originally from
> BDI-4.38 iso CDROM. What is to do to compile the complete package?

Sounds like you are trying to configure RCSLib & EMC from Sourceforge - All
you can hope to successfully compile and run are the user space applications
and simulation EMC. Doing "make PLAT=linux" in both rcslib/src & emc/src will
build these user space components.

The existing build system for EMC does not lend it's self to compiling the
kernel modules (or realtime components) with any ease. This was realised very
early on with the emc2 tree and it was in the bdi4 branch where 2.6 kernel
support was instigated.

I fyou want to compile from source, you currently have the following options:

  * Modify RCSLib/EMC and rewrite the make files to support 2.6 kernels.

  * Use the bdi4 branch of emc2 at Sourceforge.

  * Use the current emc-1.0-39 sources.

Option 1 is probably more effort than it is worth and you don't get any of the
more recent bug fixes.
Option 2 is reportedly broken and last I heard, it is not recommended to do an
install from the head of the emc2 tree.

For option 3, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb-src http://bdi4emc.ourproject.org/debian sarge extras

Run "sudo apt-get update" and then you can download the current emc-1.0
sources with "apt-get source emc" - This gets you a reworked code base using
the emc2 directory layout, libnml, a subset of the original EMC sources, and
a make system designed to work with 2.6 kernels. As an added bonus, you also
get a number of bug fixes not found in the original EMC tree.

Regards, Paul.