[Bdi4emc-help] BDI TESTING won't test

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 15 23:19:27 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 07:54, Chris Radek wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:50:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I maybe didn't do it right, but testing won't run, returning this
>> stanza on launching it, as root, built as gene after doing a chown
>> gene:gene to the whole tree as root before I did the make clean &&
>> make as gene: ...
>> One thing I didn't do was to nuke the config.status etc files and
>> rerun ./configure before doing the make, should I have?  Its late
>> or I'd test that yet tonight.
>
>Hi Gene,
>
>I'll answer this because it's a question specifically about EMC2.
>After doing a cvs update, you need to always do a full recompile.
>If you are building for run-in-place, this involves
>
>cd src
>./configure --enable-run-in-place
>make clean
>make
>sudo make setuid
>cd ..
>scripts/emc

Ok, I've done this as user gene, after making the whole tree mine, from
the cvs up -rTESTING to the scripts/emc stage, even logging out of X
and logging in as gene & restarting x.  I get this:
--------------
gene at shop:~/emc2$ scripts/emc
EMC2 - TESTING-2006-02-14
Machine configuration directory is '/home/gene/emc2/configs/stepper/'
Machine configuration file is 'stepper_inch.ini'
Starting emc...
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/kernel/adeos/adeos.ko': -1 Operation not
permitted
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/rtai/rtai_hal.ko':
-1 Operation not permitted
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/rtai/rtai_up.ko':
-1 Operation not permitted
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/rtai/rtai_fifos.ko': -1 Operation not
permitted
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/rtai/rtai_shm.ko':
-1 Operation not permitted
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/rtai/rtai_sem.ko':
-1 Operation not permitted
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.12.6-magma/rtai/rtai_math.ko':
-1 Operation not permitted
insmod: error inserting '/home/gene/emc2/rtlib/rtapi.ko': -1 Operation
not permitted
insmod: error inserting '/home/gene/emc2/rtlib/hal_lib.ko': -1 Operation
not permitted
ERROR: Could not load 'rtapi'
ERROR: Could not load 'hal_lib'
Realtime system did not load
Shutting down and cleaning up EMC...
Cleanup done
gene at shop:~/emc2$
---------------

I'd get on irc from out there, but that part of mozilla refuses to
install due to mplayer dependencies, and for some reason when I tried
to install IRC-II, it downloaded zero bytes.  So theres not an irc
agent on that box that I know of.

And an sudo scripts/emc is greeted by even nastier refusals.

I also had to install bwidget.

>EMC2 has had all its security and permissions issues cleaned up and
>you should never run it as root.  You should also never run cvs as
>root.  Using root when it's not necessary just leads to other
>problems down the road - specifically, ending up with root-owned
>files strewn about.

Ok, should I just blow that tree away after saving the stepper_inch.ini
I've been useing and just start from scratch?

>If you continue to have problems building EMC2, please visit the
>#emc channel on freenode, or bring the topic to the emc-developers
>list on sourceforge.

I'm on it I think, I'll add that address to the post.