[Bdi4emc-help] BDI TESTING won't test

Chris Radek chris at timeguy.com
Wed Feb 15 13:54:38 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:50:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I maybe didn't do it right, but testing won't run, returning this stanza
> on launching it, as root, built as gene after doing a chown gene:gene to
> the whole tree as root before I did the make clean && make as gene:
> One thing I didn't do was to nuke the config.status etc files and
> rerun ./configure before doing the make, should I have?  Its late
> or I'd test that yet tonight.

Hi Gene,

I'll answer this because it's a question specifically about EMC2.
After doing a cvs update, you need to always do a full recompile.
If you are building for run-in-place, this involves

cd src
./configure --enable-run-in-place
make clean
make
sudo make setuid
cd ..
scripts/emc

EMC2 has had all its security and permissions issues cleaned up and
you should never run it as root.  You should also never run cvs as
root.  Using root when it's not necessary just leads to other
problems down the road - specifically, ending up with root-owned
files strewn about.

If you continue to have problems building EMC2, please visit the
#emc channel on freenode, or bring the topic to the emc-developers
list on sourceforge.

Regards,
Chris