[Bdi4emc-help] Re: Re: Updating to BDI 4.50 with Synaptic

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizononline.net
Wed Aug 16 15:26:16 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 02:07, Craigg Gadd wrote:
>Hello Paul:
>
>You said in your response to my question,
>
>* 3) You burnt the CD as one large file rather than as an ISO. Quite a
>*common
>*error if you used a Windows box.
>*
>
>It turns out that in fact that's exactly what I did.  I copied the data
> to the CD as one large file.  I wasn't aware that an ISO file is the
> equivalent of a zip file under Windows!  Thanks for setting me straight
> with that.

No, its not like a zip file.  An .iso file is the exact image of the disks
data, literally from Logical Sector Number 0 to the end of the disk.  All
file system structure is just more data in such a file.

>I managed to recopy the CD and I was successful with the 4.50 upgrade.

Good.

>I experimented with trying to get Synaptic to update my BDI installation
>over the internet rather than burning a CD but wasn't successful in doing
>so.  Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to take that approach in
> the future?

That is Paul Corner's question to answer I believe.

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should append the