[Bdi4emc-help] quickstep, apt-file

Matt Timmermans mt0000 at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 14 03:12:24 CEST 2006

Hi Jeff,

><approx> it sounds like emc1 pulsing has some kind of ringing when running
>constant speed
><jepler> what step rates are you trying to attain?
><approx> I have 1333 steps/mm . ringing occurs when running over 10mm/s

That's cool.  I've imagined that freqmod must produce an audible tone around
1KHz when you run it too fast.

>I first suggested that he try "quickstep", but then I couldn't figure
>out which version(s) of the emc-modules package have quickstep.  My bdi
>test machine has "emc-modules-2.6.12.6-magma+bdi.102" and apt-get
>doesn't report any newer version is available.  But that package doesn't
>have a "quickstep.o".
>[...]
>Is this an error on my end, or is the ourproject.org apt repository not set
>up
>to permit use of apt-file?

I know little about all the deb stuff, but I can tell you that:

You need these in your apt sources:

deb http://bdi4emc.ourproject.org/debian/ sarge extras non-free
deb-src http://bdi4emc.ourproject.org/debian/ sarge extras non-free

The package is emc-modules-2.6.12.6-rtai.  It depends on newer RTAI stuff
that you probably don't have installed yet.

The correct version lists the source as emc 1.0-40

The module filename is "quickstep.ko"

The first version of quickstep was in an earlier package, but you really
want to use the newest one.  In addition to the original quickstep
functionality, it has:

- support for quadrature drives as well as step/dir
- acceleration-limited backlash compensation
- the cool new trajectory planner with blend error limits and 200 move
lookahead to avoid needless decelerations.

All that stuff is missing from any earlier released version.

--
Matt