[Bdi4emc-help] kernel source

Paul bdi-emc at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 30 19:04:41 CET 2005

Hi David

First off, complain to Nvidia and ask why their driver source isn't GPL...
Life would be so much easier for both parties. That said, on to the HOWTO.

On Friday 30 December 2005 16:34, David Szakovits wrote:
> the bdi-4.38 install went well for me, except
> networking.   in the past i have used the NFORCE
> drivers from nvidia to get the network card to work.

Not having an nvidia card to hand, I can only provide details on compilation.

> i have downloaded the latest files from nvidia,
> but the when i run the NFORCE install script, it
> complains that it does not have a precompiled
> driver for my (BDI) kernel and that it cannot find
> the kernel source so it can compile.
>
> i cant find the kernel source either!

The kernel sources are all on the CD, but you do not need them to compile the
nvidia module. As long as the kernel headers are installed along with
gcc-2.95, you have everything you need..

> i presume i will need to use anonymous cvs to
> download the kernel.  but i am not sure where this
> is hosted (and what module to specify).

The kernel developers have not used CVS for their efforts for as long as I can
remember. It used to be bitkeeper, now they use git. Regular snapshots being
posted to www.kernel.org.

> i am stuck for the moment, can anyone point me in
> the right direction.

Now for the instructions..

First, getting the computer to pull packages from the CD rather than the
internet..

  apt-cdrom add

Now for the compiler & kernel headers..

  apt-get install gcc-2.95 linux-headers-2.6.12.6-rtai

Download the proprietary closed source package from nvidia.. (watch the line
wrap here..)

wget -c
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8178/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1

Now to build the puppy...

CC=gcc-2.95 sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run
--kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12.6-rtai

Hopefully, the driver should build and install successfully.

Regards, Paul.

--
From the Klingon book of C:
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and