[Bdi4emc-help] Re: BDI-4.38 suggestions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 30 13:19:00 CET 2005

On Friday 30 December 2005 06:45, Paul wrote:
>Hi Kent & Gene
>
>On Thursday 29 December 2005 20:21, Kent A. Reed wrote:
>> At least on paper, subversion looks great. If Source Forge is going
>> to migrate to it from CVS, then it sounds like your hand will be
>> forced soon enough.
>
>If the EMC developers decide to switch to subversion, I fear they
> will be shooting themselves in the collective foot. Quite a few
> users and developers are running RH-7.x systems, and there are a
> considerable number of RH-6.x installations to boot. Whilst there
> are subversion.rpm packages available for RH-7.x, you have to go
> digging for them. For the many running RH-6.x boxes, I suspect the
> situation will be much worse.

I have to disagree with this assessment.  IF one is to run emc, then
the system should be installed as an emc install, and the Brain Dead
Install(er) is very good in this regard.  If the machine has
sufficient drive resources, then a dual boot is quite feasable and
I've done it.  At one point I was trying to do that between bdi-4.30
and FC4, but FC4 was such a pita that Sarge got installed over it.  My
last crash wiped that and I haven't edited the menu.lst to re-add the
sarge boot back in, but it hasn't been touched in the bdi re-install,
and should still be there on the other drive.

As for running all the emc stuff on a rh6 box, I wouldn't consider it
for more than the second it takes me to recall how insecure 6 was.
You wouldn't dare get it within talking distance of an internet
connection without a couple of gigabytes of updates to plug holes,
starting with bind.

So to me at least, this consideration is a non-issue.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: