[Bdi4emc-help] Re: consequences of new OpenSSH...

Kent A. Reed knbreed at erols.com
Tue Dec 27 04:53:50 CET 2005

Paul wrote:

> Message: 2 Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:57:52 +0000 From: Paul
> <bdi-emc at ntlworld.com> Subject: [Bdi4emc-help] Re: consequences of new
> OpenSSH... To: "Help and advice for BDI-4 users."
> <bdi4emc-help at lists.ourproject.org> Message-ID:
> <200512241257.52408.bdi-emc at ntlworld.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1" Hi Gene & Kent The basic BDI-4 installation
> already uses a post-install script to tweak
>
>certain settings and to correctly configure a couple of essential packages.
>To add another section to the script would be possible, but as has been
>pointed out, an upgrade to ssh could overwrite the X11Forwarding option and
>then we would have complaints of a broken ssh package. My personal preference
>is to keep auto-scripted tweaks to an absolute minimum and document
>additional tweaks rather than forcing them on to everyone.
>

>Regards, Paul.

This is my personal preference too, Paul. I was just getting overly
enthusiastic in my reply. What one really wants are scripts that test
the ability to communicate between two or more hosts and makes
intelligent suggestions if the tests fail. Although I can imagine what
the scripts would look like because similar things have been done with
CORBA ORBs I've used, I know that maintaining the scripts becomes yet
another maintenance problem.

BDI Wiki pages will do fine for documenting additional tweaks as they
are discovered, and I'm happy to do my share in creating them.

Regards,
Kent