[Atl42] When breadboards break thy brain ... build a better breadboard

Cassisi sebastiancassisi en gmail.com
Vie Jul 2 21:26:03 CEST 2010

  Sent to you by Cassisi via Google Reader: When breadboards break thy
brain ... build a better breadboard via MAKE Magazine by Collin
Cunningham on 7/2/10

If you've been watching the Circuit Skills videos, you've likely heard
me grumble a bit about using breadboards. Indeed, I have much respect
for anyone who can keep using a breadboarded electronics project and
have it remain functional indefinitely. I dunno - perhaps I'm just a
bit too rough-and-tumble with my hardware, but how so many folks find
the patience and grace to build complex projects using a bajillion
unsoldered jumpers on a breadboard, I may never know -

photo by Sebastian Tomczak, one of his many daring breadboard builds

Seriously people - I love electronics, but for me, building something
like the above image is akin to playing some kind of sadistic circuit
Jenga. One false move and I'll have to recheck every wire!

So instead of continuing to gripe about such a widely-loved
experimentor's platform, I decided to have a go at making my own. I
figure the majority of my b-board woes stemmed from the fact that each
metal clip/contact is tucked away beneath that iconic plastic bezel
grid. That grid does a good job of insulating connections from wayward
leads and such, but I'm willing to give up that safeguard in exchange
for some more reliable connections.

I'm a big fan of these fancy 'machine-pin' headers, mainly because they
can connect to several different lead sizes and do so with a
surprisingly firm grip.

After finding a good deal on a bunch of those header strips, I also
come across some unusual perfboard with IC/bus connections modeled
after the familiar breadboard layout. One rather lengthy soldering
session spent combining those items left me with my very own
machine-pin breadboard alternative -

A "headerboard", if you will ... err, "socketboard" mayhaps. Whatever
you call it, this thing makes some impressively sturdy non-permanent
connections. One downside though - the headers won't accept some wider
leads (power diodes, etc) but the directly accessible (and visible)
contacts just feels more reliable and manageable. And for me that worth
adapting a couple of leads for.

So what's next? Thinking I may have a go at the decidedly old-school
real wooden breadboard + nails & wire -

photo by crochambeau of experimentalists anonymous

... umm, perhaps strictly as a bit of historical research. yeah.
articles in DIY Projects | Digg this!
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to MAKE Magazine using Google Reader
favorite sites