[AfH-Chapters] Get-Togethers. Afterthoughts

Tobias Polzin tobias.polzin at actionforhappiness.de
Tue Feb 11 19:28:01 CET 2020

Dear all,

as we were speaking about the "get togethers", I was thinking of my
experience in the two get together groups (Hannover (10 months, I
attended approx. 6 meetings) and Heckenbeck (18 months, I attended
approx. 6 meetings). Sometimes we used some translated AfH-"get
together" materials, sometimes not. Mostly we used videos, from the
suggested materials, or other TED or similar talks (there are TED talks
in German). The number of participants dropped from nearly all course
members in the beginning to 6-9, some new people came in.

As people are so busy, I have the feeling that the "get togethers" must
have some really valuable thing to offer, so that people "crave out
time" (Kabat-Zinn in the course talk) to meet.

What could this be?

 1) Having a pleasant evening (necessary condition, but not sufficient :-))

 2) Connection, meeting friendly people in a safe and supporting setting

 3) Self-help, getting reinforced in giving priority and action towards
happiness

 4) Spreading, being part of something bigger then yourself

I feel that aspect 4 is something that could be a further glue and
purpose for such a group. Yet, I think it is difficult to support. I
don't know if you address the "Spreading" aspect in your local groups.
Are you, Mark? It could range from actively working with friendlyness
cards (kindspring.org), happiness flash-mobs, free hugs (our course did
this at a marathon), supporting local caring activities, addressing
schools, even to local or national politics.

In my village, independent of the AfH group,  a second happiness group
was founded, naming themselves fake "Ministry of Happiness and
Wellbeing". Their starting point is the "4) Spreading" aspect for our
village. Aspects 1-3 are secondary (but also existing). They are
thinking about doing Happiness Surveys in the neighbourhood, inspired by
the Gross National Happiness Institute in Bhutan
(http://grossnationalhappiness.org/). The surveys have different
functionalities: 1) get an impression on the status and development of
the Happiness competences and predeterminations, as well as the felt
Happiness level, 2) identify areas for improvement, 3) educate about
connections between behaviour and happiness, 4) by giving happiness a
relevance, put an intention into the neighbourhood's cultural field.

The group has just started, so I don't know, if this will go beyond the
"funny idea" phase...

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to collect and share elements
and activities of thriving "get together" groups.

What do you think about the "Spreading" aspect of "get togethers"?

Best wishes

  Tobias

--
Ich werde versuchen, mehr Glück und weniger Unglück in der Welt um mich herum zu stiften.
(Action for Happiness Deutschland. www.actionforhappiness.de)