[AfH-Chapters] Update from Germany
tobias.polzin at actionforhappiness.de
Thu Oct 31 13:37:04 CET 2019
Dear Mark, Alex, national chapters,
I would like to send an update on the last 3 month's activities of
Action for Happiness Germany:
* There are now around 10 courses using our translated materials and
they all went well, some where really vibrating (Darmstadt had over
30 participants). This is really a contribution that would not have
been possible without the work of the translation team! Thanks!
There was a course in Nürnberg which was thought to be given in
English, but it did not get enough participants.
* We printed a new edition (200 books) of course books as we were
running empty. There were only minor changes to the last edition.
* We translated the AfH postcard and printed 5000 of them.
Distribution has not yet started. The online team is thinking of a
good way to for the interaction.
* We found a volunteer that is eager to do the shipping of books and
postcards for us. Really great.
* A separate team does very constantly do the translation and review
of the successful calender, including posting on facebook and on the
* A new member of the core team is Facebook savvy and started daily
postings of quotes, calendar tasks and funny adoptions of the 10
keys into something like "Keep calm and do things for others", ...
We have now over 1500 subscriptions.
* The homepage www.actionforhappiness.de has been enriched with
materials. One text on social change, possibilities to contribute, a
German version of the "Unhappy?" text, ...
* We have been "passed the lamp" from Alex to do the course calls for
germany and started translating the "how to become a course leader"
and "course guide" to make it possible to make the whole thing
available to German course leaders with limited English skills. We
are taking over the responsibility for the courses in German
speaking countries more and more.
* We created monthly newsletters. Again, AfH International supported
us with mailings to members in Switzerland and Austria.
* All founding applications we did, were rejected. But we were
contacted by a foundation and were granted 2000€ for printing of
books, postcards and organisational meetings.
* In two cities there are regular gatherings. We have translated some
of the gathering materials.
* We had a weekend with 11 contributors and interested people in
Germany for tuning in, connecting, planning and taking action.
* We invite people to contact us if they want to support, and they do.
But except from "organize a course" (and soon "spread the
postcards") there is not much we can offer them "out of the box".
There is a beautiful plenty of things to do, but they involve a lot
of knowledge and sometime skills. So we - mainly I - do a lot phone
calls, people are sometimes disappointed, because after a first
"hello, would you like to give your course, what are your
interested, join our supporter mailinglist" email they have to wait
far too long.
* As many of our team have a lot of other talks, its really a huddle
to arrange appointments. Not to speak about the difficulties in
organizing regular tasks (monthly newsletter) or complex tasks
(setting up the context management system for all kind of purposes).
* We are still invisible for classical media like magazines, radio,
TV. We are not experienced in contacting those.
Perhaps you are interested in our basic organisational structure, which
has not changed much:
* There is a non-profit association with 3 board members that serves
as the legal foundation, but effectively does nothing.
* There are now 5 people that committed themselves to participate in
the organisation for at least 6 months. There are around 10 others
that participate in separate tasks (translating the monthly
calendar, ...). We have mailing lists for translators and
supporters, but the activity here is rather low.
* Every 6 months, we arrange a real world weekend together, for
revitalising the contact.
* Every 3 months, we do a session of review (our past activities, to
celebrate), retrospective (what has to be changed in our processes)
and planning (what is the focus of the next 3 months) (adopted from
* Every week, we have a 20 minutes zoom webcall with "one good thing",
"current mood", "celebrate AfH tasks done in the last week", "plans
for next week", "impediments/difficulties/questions" (adopted from
Scrum "daily"), with up to 5 members.
Dear national chapters, is there anything to report from you? I would
find it nice, if you all report something about your current
achievements, difficulties, feelings, plans!
Ich werde versuchen, mehr Glück und weniger Unglück in der Welt um mich herum zu stiften.
(Action for Happiness Deutschland. www.actionforhappiness.de)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the AfH-Chapters