[Bdi4emc-help] Re: GPL violations in BDI4

Paul bdi4emc at bulldoghome.com
Sun May 28 13:43:06 CEST 2006

Jeff

On Sunday 28 May 2006 00:23, Jeff Epler wrote:
>> demand that we make our debian rules build on your OS.

First: Not "my OS", but Debian - The same base that Knoppix, Morphix, Ubuntu,
Xandros, and countless others use.

Second: There was no "demand to", simply an observation that hard coded
dependencies was wrong (in my opinion) - Anyone wanting to compile, install,
and run on any flavour of GNU/Linux (Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, Gentoo, et al)
will run in to the same problem.

>> To condescendingly talk like I don't know how to call uname(2).

It was a suggestion for a viable kernel independent solution and in no way
intended as a condescending insult.

>> To make accusations that there are GPL problems in emc2

Copyright infringements (which may be construed as GPL violations). Alex has a
list of files that are suspect - But to repeat. The genhexkins files are
written by Brian Register, (to the best of my knowledge) he was not in the
employ of NIST at the time, so the two files are not public domain. Therefor
to slap a GPL notice on his work without express permission is questionable
at best.

Without express permission from Mesa Electronics, any/all of the 5i20 drivers
and firmware should be regarded as non-free - I believe Peter Wallace gave
permission to release the source code as GPL, but as far as I am aware,
copyrights were not transfered. Both points need to be publically clarified.

> I apologize to everyone, particularly Paul, for the accusation I made.

Accepted.

> It's now reasonably clear that in the case of the python-axis packages,
> the problem is one of communication

Not just axis, and just one of the reasons I don't subscribe to the emc-dev
list and rarely read emc-users.

Regards, Paul.