[Bdi4emc-help] Re: GPL violations in BDI4

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun May 28 01:23:24 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:15:55PM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> Paul,
>
> You have a lot of guts to show up and demand that we make our debian
> rules build on your OS.  To condescendingly talk like I don't know how
> to call uname(2).  To make accusations that there are GPL problems in
> emc2, but grow mysteriously silent when you're asked what they are.
[...]
I apologize to everyone, particularly Paul, for the accusation I made.
It's now reasonably clear that in the case of the python-axis packages,
the problem is one of communication and documentation, rather than a
violation of the GPL.

After I posted this message, Matt Timmermans contacted me personally.
Thanks to his help, I've been able to document how to build the
python-axis package on bdi4.  The process is unobvious and different to
the way I'm familiar with building debian packages, but it does appear
to work.  The biggest surprise is that it's necessary to first copy and
build emc in /usr/local/emc before building axis.

These are the instructions that I followed (excuse the markup, it's a copy of
what I placed on the bdi4emc wiki):
    = Recompiling the 'python-axis' package =
    ''The following instructions are based on ones given in a private
    communication with Matt Timmermans''

    On a vanilla bdi-4.46 system with the install cdrom in the drive, the
    following script successfully creates the 'python-axis' and 'python2.3-axis'
    debian packages:
    {{{
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibmesa-glu-dev fakeroot build-essential rtai-dev-2.6.16-rtai
    sudo apt-get build-dep emc python-axis
    apt-get source emc python-axis
    sudo -s << EOF
    cp -R emc-1.0/src /usr/local/emc/src
    cd /usr/local/emc/src
    ./configure && make
    EOF
    cd python-axis-1.2.1
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
    }}}

I would be tickled pink if someone familiar with the process to build
the emc and emc-modules debian packages for bdi4emc could also document
that on the wiki.

Jeff