[Spinne-developer] s drove fr

Bazzell Villarta statuette at bendt.nl
Wed Aug 26 09:52:37 CEST 2009

 while I pray, lay your dear pretty hands on my head. It will seem like
a parting benediction; a veritable Nunc dimmitas." CHAPTER II. "I do not
want a carriage. If the distance is only a mile and a half, I can easily
walk. After leaving town is there a straight road?" "Straight as the
crow flies, when you have passed the factory, and cemetery, and turned
to the left. There is a little Branch running at the foot of the hill,
and just across it, you will see the white palings, and the big gate
with stone pillars, and two tremendous brass dogs on top, showing their
teeth and ready to spring. There's no mistaking the place, because it is
the only one left in the country that looks like the good old times
before the war; and the Yankees would not have spared it, had it not
been such comfortable bombproof headquarters for their officers. It's
our show place now, and General Darrington keeps it up in better style,
than any other estate I know." "Thank you. I will find it." Beryl walked
away in the direction indicated, and the agent of the railway station,
leaning against the door of the baggage room, looked with curious
scrutiny after her. "I should like to know who she is. No ordinary
person, that is clear. Such a grand figure and walk, and such a steady
look in her big solemn eyes, as if she saw straight through a person,
clothes, flesh and all. Wonder what her business can be with the old
general?" From early childhood Beryl had listened so intently to her
mother's glowing descriptions of the beauty and elegance of her old home
"Elm Bluff," that she soon began to identify the land-marks along the
road, alter passing the cemetery, where so many generations of
Darringtons slept in one corner, enclosed by a lofty iron railing;
exclusive in death as in life; jealously guarded and locked from contact
with the surrounding dwellers in "God's Acre." The October day had begun
quite cool and crisp, with a hint of frost in its dewy sparkle, but as
though vanquished Summer had suddenly faced about, and charged furiously
to cover her retreat, the south wind came heavily lade