[Souldreamer-developers] her o

Buelow Osburne tirpitz at mfmtl.ca
Sun Mar 28 06:06:36 CEST 2010

Aloft, they never failed to cross themselves before taking
to the rigging, as if impressed with
a sense of their chance
of not returning again in safety. To me was given the congenial task of
teaching them the duties required, and I am bound to admit that they
were willing, biddable, and cheerful learners.
Another amiable trait in
their characters was especially
noticeable: they always held everything in common. No matter how small
the portion received by any one, it was scrupulously shared

with the others who lacked, and this subdivision was often carried
to ludicrous lengths. As there was so reason to hurry south, we, took a
short cruise on the Vasquez ground, more, I think, for the purpose of
training our recruits than anything else. As far as the results to our
profit were concerned,
we might almost as well have gone straight
on, for we only took one small cow-cachalot. But the time spent thus
cruising was by no means wasted. Before we left finally for New Zealand,
every one of those Kanakas was as much at home in the whale-boats as
he would have been in a canoe. Of course they were greatly helped by
their entire familiarity with
the water, which took from them all that dread of being drowned which
hampers the white "greenie" so sorely, besides
which, the absolute confidence they had in our prowess amongst the
whales freed them from any fear on that head. Tui proved
himself to be a smart harpooner, and was chosen for the
captain's boat. During our conversations, I was secretly amused to hear
him allude to himself as Sam, thinking how little it accorded with his
SOI-DISANT Kanaka origin. He often regaled me with accounts of his royal
struggles to maintain
his rule, all of which narrations
I received with a goodly amount of reserve, though confirmed in some
particulars by the Kanakas, when I became able to converse with them.
But I

was hard