[Souldreamer-developers] {Spam?} Ufort and d'Azay!" Amid the ent

Trotto surveillance at levinsky.org
Fri Jan 15 12:55:31 CET 2010

T on the haughty face before him for a moment, and then, making a
profound obeisance, he said, quietly: "When you are quite ready, Madame,
permit me to escort you back to the palace." He spoke with such
formality and dignity that Adrienne blushed scarlet and bit her lips.
"Before I accept Monsieur Calvert's escort, I wish to explain--" but
Calvert interrupted her. "No explanation is necessary, Madame, surely,"
he said, a little wearily. She blushed yet more deeply and raised her
head imperiously. "You are right, Monsieur. 'Tis not necessary, as you
say, but I will accept no favor--not even a safe-conduct back to the
palace--from one whose manner"--she hesitated, as if at a loss for
words--"whose manner is an accusation. But though I am hurt, I should
not be surprised by it, sir!" she went on, advancing a step and drawing
herself up proudly. "It has ever been your attitude toward me. From that
first night we met I have felt myself under the ban of your disapproval.
Poor Monsieur de St. Aulaire and I!" and she laughed mockingly. "I pray
you, Madame, do not name yourself in the same breath with that
scoundrel!" said Calvert, in a low voice. "And why not, Monsieur? We are
both of the same world, we have both been brought up after the same
fashion, we are probably much alike. Ah, Monsieur," she went on,
defiantly, "is it the Quaker in you--Monsieur Jefferson has told me that
your mother was a Quakeress--that makes you hate the world, the flesh,
and the devil so? Is Paris, then, so much more wicked than your
Virginia? Are we so different from the women of your world?" She went up
to him and put her beautiful face close