[Souldreamer-developers] One in sight--not even a car--and the open windows

Bogus fumarate at uwant.net
Thu Sep 3 17:17:33 CEST 2009

Efore I even looked about me. There was a vague confusion in my head, as
if I had just awakened from a long sleep. Some memory seemed to be
fading away, something I could still feel but couldn't understand. Then
it was gone, and I was alone and empty, riding on the water. I glanced
about, puzzled. Only a few yards away rose the gray stone side of the
embankment, with its low parapet, and behind that the Drive. There was
no one in sight--not even a car--and the open windows of the apartment
houses across the Drive seemed very quiet. People slept behind them. It
was only a little after dawn. The sun, blazing and tinted with pink, had
hardly risen from the horizon. The lake was still lined with dark
shadows behind glittering ridges of morning sunlight, and a cool breeze
played across my face, coming in from the east. Over the city, the sound
of a street car rumbling into motion, rising and dying away, was like
the crowing of a rooster in the country. I shivered, and began to swim.
A few strokes brought me to the embankment, and I clambered up, almost
freezing as I left the water. I was fully clothed, but without a hat.
Perhaps I had lost it in the lake. I stood there, dripping and chill,
and suddenly I realized that I had just waked up in the water. I had no
recollection of falling in, nor even of being there. I could remember
nothing of the previous night. A glance along the Drive told me where I
was, at the corner of Fifty-third street. My apartment was only a few
blocks away. Had I been walking in my sleep? My mind was a blank, with
turbulent, dim impressions moving confusedly under the surface. * * * *
* Trembling in the chill air, I started up the Drive. I must go home and
change at once. Something came back to me--a memory of talking to some
friends at the Club. But was that last night? Or months ago? It was as
though I had slept for months. We had had a few drinks