[Souldreamer-developers] Vesture, he is more than content. BOSTON, _July

Fendlason Slusher warningly at nevakee.de
Mon Aug 24 19:57:58 CEST 2009

Us. It was "too jolly fine to waste time working," as Tom said; so we
started off to explore the single street of the squalid town of Pesto
that was lost within the walls of dead Poseidonia. It was not a pretty
village,--if you can call a rut-riven lane and a dozen houses a
village,--nor were the inhabitants thereof reassuring in appearance.
There was no sign of a church,--nothing but dirty huts, and in the
midst, one of two stories, rejoicing in the name of _Albergo del Sole_,
the first story of which was a black and cavernous smithy, where certain
swarthy knaves, looking like banditti out of a job, sat smoking sulkily.
"We might stay here all night," said Tom, grinning askance at this
choice company; but his suggestion was not received with enthusiasm.
Down where the lane from the station joined the main road stood the only
sign of modern civilization,--a great square structure, half villa, half
fortress, with round turrets on its four corners, and a ten-foot wall
surrounding it. There were no windows in its first story, so far as we
could see, and it had evidently been at one time the fortified villa of
some Campanian noble. Now, however, whether because brigandage had been
stamped out, or because the villa was empty and deserted, it was no
longer formidable; the gates of the great wall hung sagging on their
hinges, brambles growing all over them, and many of the windows in the
upper story were broken and black. It was a strange place, weird and
mysterious, and we looked at it curiously. "There is a story about that
place," said Tom, with conviction. It was growing late: the sun was near
the edge of the sea as we walked down the ivy-grown walls of the
vanished city for the last time, and as we turned back, a red flush
poured from the west, and painted the Doric temples in pallid rose
against the evanescent purple of the Apennines. Already a thin mist was
rising from the meadows, an