[Solar-parla] {Spam?} ot mo

Lowell ammocoete at touch-coach.be
Mon Dec 7 13:19:56 CET 2009

Poken. God save the Queen!" How that place echoed with the hearty
"Hurray!" that rung out; and then it was, "Fours right. March!" and only
our company held firm, while I don't know whether I felt disappointed or
pleased, till I happened to look up at one of the windows, to see Mrs
Maine and Miss Ross, with those two poor little innocent children
clapping their hands with delight at seeing the soldiers march away; one
of them, the little girl, with her white muslin and scarlet sash over
her shoulder, being held up by Lizzy Green; and then I did know that I
was not disappointed, but glad I was to stay. But to shew you how a
man's heart changes about when it is blown by the hot breath of what you
may call love, let me tell you that only half a minute later, I was
disappointed again at not going; and dared I have left the ranks, I'd
have run after the departing column, for I caught Harry Lant looking up
at that window, and I thought a handkerchief was waved to him. Next
minute, Captain Dyer calls out, "Form four-deep. Right face. March!" and
he led us to the gateway, but only to halt us there, for Measles, who
was sentry, calls out something to him in a wild excited way. "What do
you want, man?" says Captain Dyer. "O sir, if you'll only let me
exchange. 'Taint too late. Let me go, captain." "How dare you, sir!"
says Captain Dyer sternly, though I could see plainly enough it was only
for discipline, for he was, I thought pleased at Measles wanting to be
in the thick of it. Then he shouts again to Measles, "'Tention--present
arms!" and Measles falls into his right position for a sentry when
troops are marching past. "March!" says the captain again; and we
marched into the market-place, and--all but those told off for
sentries--we were dismissed; and Captain Dyer then stood talking
earnestly to Lieutenant Leigh, for it had fallen out that they two, with
a short company of eight-and-thirty rank and file, were to have the
guarding of the women and children left in quarters at Begumbagh. STORY
ONE, CHAPTER SEVEN