[Solar-OpenOffice] You can help to make therapies for aging and life extension medicine a reality.

Connor A. Brown sbkl at stroet.com
Mon Mar 12 12:49:41 CET 2007

cid:part1.07020903.03050005 at yahoo.co.jp
If you have ever thought about how peaceful someone looked in a casket, let me let you in on a little secret, they didn't look that way before we embalmed them.
I think that, by now, most people know my opinions on the rampant growth of the bioethics field.
Click here to find out more about living a longer, healthier life.
You can make a real, tangible difference to the future of healthy life extension medicine by doing the same.
The modern Three Hundred will, through modest donations and the work of the Methuselah Foundation, win time for scientists to fight and defeat the aging process itself. Aging is simply damage to the body, and this can in principle be repaired - all we have to do is to direct sufficient resources to solving this problem.
A common, and very insulting, view appears to be that the scientific community will race off to immediately do whatever implausible act it is that the anti-research speaker fears the most. In effect, stem cells become the delivery mechanism for the gene therapy.
htmlThe Weekend Australian reports from the ongoing International Conference on Longevity in Sydney.
Encourage the people you know to pitch in and make a difference to the future of health and longevity!
htmlThe motivations behind this unfortunate bill are unclear for those of us on the outside, so it is hard to predict where this matter will go from here. How is it that people can put small unthinking, unfeeling collections of less than a hundred cells ahead of the terrible suffering of hundreds of millions worldwide? Conservative gerontologists like Jay Olshansky - who seem to believe that we cannot address the underlying aging process - believe this rate of increase will slow and stop. Regenerative medicine aims at repair. We all have certain expectations regarding financial plans for later life, but do plans based on the experience of past generations serve us well? Kass is openly in favor of banning attempts to increase the healthy human life span, and in favor of blocking stem cell research and therapeutic cloning. Advanced Cell Technology is in Massachusetts, and you may recall that Harvard University is currently working to establish a large stem cell center. If you want to live healthily - and live long enough to benefit from the healthy life extension medicine of the near future - then you need to be looking after your natural longevity.
I suspect that the Funeral Directors Association is starting to realize that bringing the government into your house in order to get your own way is not the smartest of ideas.
Thank you to everyone who participated. It is possible that the bill will resurface as an attachment to some popular item of legislation in an attempt to pass it by stealth.
Relieving suffering, saving lives and fixing flaws in the human condition are just a fraction of what could be achieved in the near future with the right level of funding and public support.
The cynic writing this post has his doubts - regulation and price controls are not compatible with rapid progress in medical science.
Aubrey de Grey thinks that we could largely defeat aging in mice in a decade, given the right level of funding - certainly food for thought.
I hope that you'll find it a useful and interesting view into the community, related happenings and activism for longer, healthier lives. Improve your longevity and you'll be more likely to benefit from the future of real anti-aging medicine!
It comes complete with all sorts of restrictions, and so it remains to be seen as to whether it will perform as advertised.
This is nonsense: scientists, just like all of the rest of us who have our heads screwed on right, want to do good work, cure disease and extend the healthy human life span.
Knowledge is power; with knowledge, we can craft therapies and defeat disease.
>From the article: "U.
htmlThe Weekend Australian reports from the ongoing International Conference on Longevity in Sydney.
cfmIf we don't speak out in favor of progress, there are those who will take progress away from us.
htmlAs reported by news.
cfmAn article by Mary Beckman at SAGE Crossroads examines the way in which scientific progress in medicine is enabled by philanthropy.
Meanwhile, the FDA has been preventing US researchers from performing this sort of trial until very recently. The article is short on details regarding the type of stem cells used, but the researchers expect to be able to culture tissue from them.
Scientists have demonstrated that "potentially limitless" numbers of T cells, a vital part of the immune system, can be created in the laboratory using stem cells. htmThe Daily Yomiuri reports that Japanese researchers have succeeded in growing correctly-structured capillary blood vessels from embryonic stem cells.
Given that most webcasts to date have been debates, it's a shame that this one is just an interview.