[Solar-general] Fwd: [Parrot-users] Parrot 3.9.0 "Archaeopteryx" Released

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Mie Oct 19 04:41:48 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan en leto.net>
Date: 2011/10/18
Subject: [Parrot-users] Parrot 3.9.0 "Archaeopteryx" Released
To: parrot-dev <parrot-dev en lists.parrot.org>,
parrot-users en lists.parrot.org, lwn en lwn.net, Perl5 Porters
<perl5-porters en perl.org>, perl6-announce en perl.org

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 3.9.0
"Archaeopteryx".
Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at running all
dynamic languages.

Parrot 3.9.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site
(ftp://ftp.parrot.org/pub/parrot/releases/supported/3.9.0/), or by following the
download instructions at http://parrot.org/download.  For those who would like
to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Git to
retrieve the source code to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Parrot 3.9.0 News:
   - Core
       + The whiteknight/kill_threads branch was merged, which
removes the old and broken
       thread/concurrency implementation. Better and more flexible
concurrency primitives
       are currently being worked on. This also involved removing
some of the last vestiges
       of assembly code from Parrot as well as removing the share and
share_ro vtables.
       + random_lib.pir was removed, since better alternatives already exist
       + The freeze and thaw vtables were removed from Default PMC,
because they weren't
         useful and caused hard-to-find bugs.
       + A new subroutine profiling runcore was added. It can be
enabled with the command-line
       argument of -R subprof . The resulting data can be analyzed
with kcachegrind.
       + Added get_string VTABLE to FixedIntegerArray and FixedFloatArray PMCs
       + The update() method was added to the Hash PMC, which updates
one Hash with the contents
         of another. This speeds up rakudo/nqp startup time.
   - Languages
       + Winxed
         - Updated snapshot to version 1.3.0
         - Added the builtin sleep
         - Modifier 'multi' allows some more multi functionality
   - Community
       + New repo for the Parrot Alternate Compiler Toolkit, a
re-implementation of
         PCT in Winxed: https://github.com/parrot/PACT
   - Documentation
       + We are in the process to migrating our Trac wiki at
http://trac.parrot.org/ to Github
         at https://github.com/parrot/parrot/wiki
       + Packfile PMC documentation was updated
   - Tests
       + Select PMC tests improved to pass on non-Linuxy platforms

The SHA256 message digests for the downloadable tarballs are:

923b5ef403c26dd94c04127940659aea94516f79243a80de65fbababff44bfad
parrot-3.9.0.tar.bz2
568bfffad0bc7595164f342cd39c33ac967286423844491e85a8f9767f15871c
parrot-3.9.0.tar.gz

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible. This
release comprises
182 commits by 17 authors on the master branch since the previous release:

   Michael Schroeder, Whiteknight, soh_cah_toa, Jonathan "Duke" Leto,
   Brian Gernhardt, Andy Lester, Christoph Otto, Peter Lobsinger,
jkeenan, NotFound,
   Jimmy Zhuo, Stefan Seifert, Andrew Whitworth, Francois Perrad, Moritz Lenz,
   Tadeusz Sośnierz, gerd

Our next scheduled release is 15 November 2011.

Enjoy and may the force be with you!

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jonathan en leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC

Diego Saravia
Diego.Saravia en gmail.com
NO FUNCIONA->dsa en unsa.edu.ar

"Disclaimer:" Haré lo que desee con los correos que reciba, quien no
este de acuerdo, que se abstenga de enviarme correo a mí o a las
listas donde este suscripto.
En particular NO VALE ningun "disclaimer" que indique que el correo
enviado es privado o sujeto a normas de empresas, gobiernos, u
organizaciones de cualquier tipo.
Con relación a los estados y sus leyes, analizare cualquier norma
aplicable en el territorio donde eventualmente actúe en el momento,
escucho a cualquiera que tenga algo que decir.
Con respecto en particular a los derechos de autor, salvo acuerdo
previo, gozaré plenamente de las 4 libertades con todo lo que reciba,
considerandolo, en cuanto a lo patrimonial,
como propio.