[Solar-general] why gnu/linux and not just linux

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Mie Sep 22 12:28:17 CEST 2010

From: Arun M

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
The name is a reminder of past. Term GNU is a thick term with lot of meaning,
it is about dream shared by lot of people, its about how that dream
was shattered, its abt resistance, its about creativity and last but
not the least it is about freedom. Linux as a term does not carry any
of these meanings. It is just a cute little word created to represent
a cute little software. We love it we admire it. But yet, our larger
goal it is the dream of GNU. Buy using term GNU we try to communicate
that dream, all the meanings that are loaded to it. May be we dont
explicitly mention all the meanings of term GNU when we use it. But we
are definitely giving a pointer to that. And if you think dream is
important, you must join us.

May be you dont share the dream. But even then, you can not deny the
fact that cute little penguin which you admire comes out because many
people shared the dream of GNU and worked for it. It is just a minimum
curtsy to recognised those people for the work they did, even if you
dont share their believes.

regards
arun

--