[Solar-general] Fwd: [FSF] Free Software Supporter -- Issue 31, October 2010

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Sab Oct 30 14:14:51 CEST 2010

interesante como subir videos a youtube

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Sullivan <info en fsf.org>
Date: 2010/10/29
Subject: [FSF] Free Software Supporter -- Issue 31, October 2010
To: info-fsf en fsf.org

# Free Software Supporter
Issue 31, October 2010

Welcome to the Free Software Supporter, the Free Software
Foundation's monthly news digest and action update -- being read by
you and 33,631 other activists. That's 443 more than last month!

Encourage your friends to subscribe and help us build an audience by
adding our subscriber widget to your web site.

 * Subscribe: <http://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>
 * Widget: <http://www.fsf.org/associate/widget>

Miss an issue? You can catch up on back issues at
<http://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>.

Multilingual? Send translations of the Supporter to
<campaigns en fsf.org>.

## TABLE OF CONTENTS

* How to upload a video to YouTube and ensure it is viewable in WebM
* VLC developer takes a stand against DRM enforcement in Apple's App
 Store
* Fostering free software education: FTA and FSF partner to expand
 master's program in free software and standards
* Hardware we all want: FSF announces criteria for the hardware
 endorsement program "Respects Your Freedom"
* Windows Phone 7: the best choice for Patent Trolls.
* Stop the Internet blacklist
* Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me: The Mac
 App Store
* Amazon app store for Android welcomes DRM
* DRM action from Italy
* When is reading out loud patentable?
* LibrePlanet featured resource: Hardware Endorsement Criteria
* GNU spotlight with Karl Berry
* Richard Stallman's speaking schedule and other FSF events
* Take action with the FSF!

### How to upload a video to YouTube and ensure it is viewable in WebM

We've just posted a recipe to follow for converting your videos to the
new free WebM format, using VLC. It's hosted on the LibrePlanet wiki
at <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:PlayOgg/WebM_recipe>, with the
hope that people will continue to update and improve it over time.

* <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:PlayOgg/WebM_recipe>
* <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/how-to-upload-a-video-to-youtube-and-ensure-it-is-viewable-in-webm>

### VLC developer takes a stand against DRM enforcement in Apple's App
   Store

Rémi Denis-Courmont is one of the primary developers of the VLC media
player, which is free software and distributed under the GPL. Earlier
this week, he wrote to Apple to complain that his work was being
distributed through their App Store, under terms that contradict the
GPL's conditions and prohibit users from sharing the program. People
enforcing the GPL like Rémi are fighting against DRM, so that everyone
can be in full control of their own computers. We're thankful to him
for taking a stand. If you want to show your support, too, it's easy:
just steer clear of Apple's DRM-infested App Store.

* <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/vlc-enforcement>

### Fostering free software education: FTA and FSF partner to expand
   master's program in free software and standards

The Free Technology Academy (FTA) and the Free Software Foundation
(FSF) have announced their partnership in the FTA's Associate Partner
Network.

The FTA provides courses about free software and free standards that
are taught completely online using materials which are available under
free licenses.

The FSF will provide special video guest lectures in FTA courses and
will encourage volunteers to maintain existing materials and write new
courses. The FTA will provide the FSF Associate Membership with 30
discount vouchers for FTA courses each trimester.

* <http://www.fsf.org/news/free-technology-academy>

### Hardware we all want: FSF announces criteria for the hardware
   endorsement program "Respects Your Freedom"

The FSF has published an initial set of criteria for endorsing
computers and other devices. We ultimately plan to promote an
endorsement mark to be carried on products that meet the criteria:
"Respects Your Freedom".

These criteria include installing and recommending exclusively free
software, allowing users to install their modified version of the
software, making it possible to compile the source code using only
free software, and releasing any useful technical documentation under a
free license.

Feedback is welcome on the criteria wiki page.

* <http://www.fsf.org/news/endorsement-criteria>
* <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Hardware/Endorsement_criteria>

### Windows Phone 7: the best choice for Patent Trolls.

The FSF issued a warning to the public over Microsoft's Windows 7
Phone series. The new operating system is backed by the largest phone
marketing campaign in history.

Microsoft has been attacking free-software-based mobile systems like
Android and spreading malicious features like DRM and proprietary
formats to lock in users.

Please take an action and warn people you know. Tell them that they
deserve software freedom!

* <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/windows-phone-7-the-best-choice-for-patent-trolls>

### Stop the Internet blacklist

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) is a
new proposed act that will require Internet service providers and
others to block a blacklist of any domain that the government thinks
are involved in copyright infringement, which the Attorney General can
add to with a court order.

Please join Richard Stallman and us at the FSF in signing a petition
that demands Congress to stop this act which is aimed to be a weapon
in the hands of mega corporations in the War on Sharing. Furthermore,
since free software is often distributed using the same peer to peer
technologies and sites they target, it's a real danger that we could
get caught in the crossfire.

* <http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/>
* <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/stop-the-internet-blacklist>

### Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me: The Mac
   App Store

Apple has announced that it would introduce a version of the infamous
App Store in its new MacBook Air laptop. The new restriction will
likely bring "FairPlay" digital handcuffs to software that is
installed through the Store.

Apple claims that the App Store is the only legal method for iPad,
iPhone and iPod users to install software on their devices. All
applications must be approved by Apple and developers are required to
sign a subjugating contract that completely blocks free software.

The new store is a new step towards that direction for desktops and
laptops. Please join us and take an action now!

* <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/macappstore>

### Amazon app store for Android welcomes DRM

Our campaigns intern, Molly de Blanc, has written an interesting
article about Amazon's history of participating in promoting both
DRM'd and DRM-free materials. She goes through the history of Amazon
MP3, Kindle applications and books, and its new Androids app store --
which will promote DRM.

* <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/amazon-android-drm>

### DRM action from Italy

Our software freedom activist friends in Italy were excited to share
some updates about their local campaign against Digital Restrictions
Management. They have sent us photos that we loved!

Join DefectiveByDesign, start a campaign for educating people to
refuse DRM in your local area, share your updates and photos with us
and we will pick the best update and photo we get every month!

* <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/node/1537>

### When is reading out loud patentable?

Ciaran of End Software Patents has added a wiki page for analyzing the
"Cabinet for the blind" example. It's an example that was used in a
1980 amicus brief for the *Diamond v. Diehr* case in the USA. In
looking into this, he also turned up a few interesting quotes about
pen and paper patents. Comments welcome on the wiki.

* <http://news.swpat.org/2010/10/reading-aloud-patentable/>
* <http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Cabinet_for_the_blind_example>

### LibrePlanet featured resource: Hardware Endorsement Criteria

We are going to highlight one resource every month on LibrePlanet that
is interesting, useful and can use your help.

For this month, we are highlighting the FSF's new hardware endorsement
criteria which will eventually be used to apply and promote the
"Respects Your Freedom" mark.

What kind of hardware do you want? What kind of restrictions should we
reject? Feel free to browse, spread, comment on and improve this
important resource!

* <http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Hardware/Endorsement_criteria>

Do you have a suggestion for next month's featured resource? Let us
know at <campaigns en fsf.org>.

### GNU Spotlight with Karl Berry

autoconf-archive-2010.10.26     mdk-1.2.6
coreutils-8.6                   mtools-4.0.15
denemo-0.8.20                   myserver-0.10
dfarc-3.8                       solfege-3.18.6
gcc-4.4.5                       tar-1.24
gnubatch-1.3                    ucommon-4.0.3
gnupg-1.4.11                    websocket4j-1.3
gnuspool-1.8                    xnee-3.07
gnutls-2.10.2                   xorriso-0.6.4
icecat-3.6.11                   zile-2.3.20
libmicrohttpd-0.9.2

To get announcements of most new GNU packages, subscribe to the
info-gnu mailing list:
software is available from <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/>, or preferably
one of its mirrors (<http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html>).  You can use
the url <http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/> to be automatically redirected to
a (hopefully) nearby and up-to-date mirror.

This month we welcome Chris Bryant as the new maintainer of vmslib.

Several GNU packages are looking for maintainers and other assistance.
Please see <http://www.gnu.org/server/takeaction.html#unmaint> if
you'd like to help.  The general page on how to help GNU is at
<http://www.gnu.org/help/help.html>.  To submit new packages to GNU,
see <http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html>.

As always, please feel free to write to me, <karl en gnu.org>, with any
GNUish questions or suggestions for future installments.

### Richard Stallman's speaking schedule

2010-11-03 | Une société numérique libre et durable
 Lausanne, Switzerland
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101103-fs-lausanne>

2010-11-04 | Une société numérique libre et durable
 Geneva, Switzerland
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101104-fs-geneva>

2010-11-08 | Free Software in Ethics and in Practice
 Lausanne, Switzerland
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101108-fs-lausanne>

2010-11-09 | Système financier libre vs. propriétaire
 Geneva, Switzerland
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101109-sflvp-geneva>

2010-11-10 | Copyright vs. Community
 Geneva, Switzerland
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101110-cvc-lausanne>

2010-11-11 | Les logiciels libres et votre liberté
 Lausanne, Switzerland
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101013-fs-geneva>

### Other free software events

2010-11-05 | GNU get-together at FSCONS 2010
  Goethenburg, Sweden
* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20101105-gnu-get-together-at-fscons>

### Take action with the FSF

Contributions from thousands of individual members enable the FSF's
work. You can contribute by joining at <http://www.fsf.org/join>. If
you're already a member, you can help refer new members (and earn some
rewards) by adding a line with your member number to your email
signature like:

 I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
 <http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=2442>

The FSF is also always looking for volunteers
(<http://www.fsf.org/volunteer>). From rabble-rousing to hacking, from
issue coordination to envelope stuffing -- there's something here for
everybody to do. Also, head over to our campaign section
(<http://www.fsf.org/campaigns>) and take action on software patents,
DRM, free software adoption, OpenDocument, RIAA and more.

###

The Free Software Supporter is edited by FSF volunteer Osama Khalid.

Copyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-No
Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this
license, visit <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/> or
send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San
Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

info-fsf mailing list
info-fsf en fsf.org
Unsubscribe: http://lists.fsf.org/mailman/listinfo/info-fsf