[Solar-general] Fwd: [FSF] Free Software Supporter -- Issue 26, May 2010

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Mar Mayo 25 21:18:03 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Lee <info en fsf.org>
Date: 2010/5/25
Subject: [FSF] Free Software Supporter -- Issue 26, May 2010
To: info-fsf en fsf.org

# Free Software Supporter
Issue 26, May 2010

Welcome to the Free Software Supporter, the Free Software Foundation's
monthly news digest and action update -- being read by you and
31,297 other activists.

Encourage your friends to subscribe and help us build an audience by
adding our subscriber widget to your web site.

 * Subscribe: <http://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>
 * Widget: <http://www.fsf.org/associate/widget>

Miss an issue? You can catch up on back issues at
<http://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>.

Multilingual? Send translations of the Supporter to <campaigns en fsf.org>.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

* Job Opening: FSF Campaigns Manager
* GPL Enforcement in Apple's App Store
* GNU Hackers' Meetings, July 24th-25th, 2010
* Defective by Design: Design a new sticker!
* FSF responds to Jobs's "Thoughts on Flash"
* Ryzom is Free: Breakthrough for Free Software Gaming
* FSF launches free extension listing for OpenOffice.org
* Chris Hofstader appointed as GNU access technology director
* GNU Project publishes GNU Accessibility Statement
* iQuenching your iThirst
* GNU spotlight with Karl Berry
* Richard Stallman's speaking schedule and other FSF events
* Take action with the FSF!

## Job Opening: FSF Campaigns Manager

The FSF is hiring a Campaigns Manager to be part of a team that
directs and coordinates our campaigns for software freedom. This
is an opportunity to take a senior role in the organization that
sponsors the GNU project, publishes the GNU GPL and works to
promote the message that software freedom is a civil liberty.

 * <http://www.fsf.org/news/job-opening-fsf-campaigns-manager>

## GPL Enforcement in Apple's App Store

An iPhone port of GNU Go is currently being distributed through
Apple's App Store. However, this distribution is not in compliance
with the GNU GPL. The primary problem is that Apple imposes numerous
legal restrictions on use and distribution of GNU Go through the
iTunes Store Terms of Service, which is forbidden by section 6 of
GPLv2. So today we have written to Apple and asked them to come into
compliance. We would be happy to see Apple distribute these programs
under the GPL's terms, but unfortunately, it seems much more likely
that they'll simply make the problem go away by removing GNU Go
from the App Store.

 * <http://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance>

## GNU Hackers' Meetings, July 24th-25th, 2010

GNU Hackers' Meetings are informal meetings for GNU maintainers and
active contributors. A GNU Hackers' Meeting will be held on July
24th-25th, 2010, during the GUADEC 2010 conference in The Hague,
Netherlands. The free secure networking and decentralized applications
issues will be discussed. This is a technical meeting and all GNU
contributors are invited!

* <http://www.gnu.org/ghm/>

## Defective by Design: Design a new sticker!

FSF's Defective by Design campaign is having a contest for designing
a new sticker. The existing pink one features the problem of DRM'd
music on iPod, and it was pink to fit Apple's pink iPod advertising
back in 2006. However, now we need to make one that focuses on DRM'd
applications, games and movies on iPod, iPhone and iPad.

The contest will be held until the end of May and the three best
designers will get a LibrePlanet t-shirt! Join and let your designer
friends know!

* <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/new-sticker>

## FSF responds to Jobs's "Thoughts on Flash"

Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, wrote about his "Thoughts on Flash"
and mentioned several reasons why Apple does not allow Adobe Flash on
their iPad, iPhone and iPad devices and he included the fact that it
is not an 'open standard'. Our operations manager, John Sullivan,
responded to that and published an article on ArsTechnica.

*
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/pot-meet-kettle-a-response-to-steve-jobs-letter-on-flash.ars>
* <http://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-responds-to-jobss-thoughts-on-flash>

## Ryzom is Free: Breakthrough for Free Software Gaming

Earlier this month, the FSF welcomed the release of online game Ryzom --
all source code and artistic assets to the free software
development community. The source code was released under the GNU
Affero General Public License, and the artwork was released under
Creative Commons' Attribution ShareAlike License.

More than two-million lines of source code and 20,000 high quality
arts are now available to the community in an online repository.

* <http://www.fsf.org/news/free-ryzom-1>

## FSF launches free extension listing for OpenOffice.org

The FSF has launched a free software extension listing for the
popular office suite OpenOffice.org to replace the current, official
one that recommends non-free extensions.

The FSF asked the OpenOffice.org Community Council to list only
free software extensions, or to provide a second independent
listing which only included free extensions, but they declined to
change their policy.

Therefore, the FSF has launched an effort to assemble a replacement
extension library, which will list only the extensions that are
free.

*
<http://fsf.org/news/fsf-launches-free-software-extension-listing-for-openoffice.org>

## GNU Project publishes GNU Accessibility Statement

The GNU Project has published an initiative to create features that can be
used by people with low vision, deafness, learning and reading
disabilities, and for people with mobility and other physical issues
who can use an on-screen keyboard.

> According to the United Nations in 2005, there were 600 million
> people with disabilities in the world. To use computers, many of them
> need special software known as “access technology”. Like other
> programs, these can be free software or proprietary. Those which are
> free software respect the freedom of their users; the rest,
> proprietary programs, subject those users to the power of the
> program's owner.

* <http://www.gnu.org/accessibility/accessibility.html>

## Chris Hofstader appointed as GNU access technology director

The FSF has appointed Chris Hofstader as the GNU access technology
director. Hofstader has been a software engineer for about thirty
years. He had a moderate to severe vision impairment until he was
about 35, when he slid into profound blindness. He officially joined
the GNU Project in February of this year.

* <http://www.fsf.org/news/chris-hofstader-gnu-access-technology-director>

## iQuenching your iThirst

On May 1st, Boston's main water supply was hit by a burst main,
polluting much of the water and making it unsafe to drink. The FSF
staff and volunteers took the chance to serve the community and to
educate the public in the Day Against DRM and they had a 'Free Water'
activity at a nearby Apple Store in Boston.

* <http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iquench>

## GNU Spotlight with Karl Berry

The recent GNU software releases:

coreutils-8.5           gnue-forms-0.6.3        mit-scheme-9.0.1
diffutils-3.0           gnue-navigator-0.1.0    parallel-20100424
freedink-1.08.20100420  gnue-reports-0.2.0      sipwitch-0.8.2
freeipmi-0.8.5          gnutrition-0.31         smalltalk-3.2
gawk-3.1.8              gv-3.6.9                ucommon-2.1.3
global-5.8.2            help2man-1.38.2         xboard-4.4.3
gnue-appserver-0.5.3    libtasn1-2.6            xorriso-0.5.6
gnue-common-0.6.9       libunistring-0.9.3

To get announcements of most new GNU packages, subscribe to the info-gnu
mailing list: <http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-gnu>.  Nearly
all GNU software is available from <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/>, or
preferably one of its mirrors (<http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html>).  You
can use the url <http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/> to be automatically
redirected to a (hopefully) nearby and up-to-date mirror.

This month we welcome Ole Tange as the maintainer of the new package GNU
parallel, and thank Giuseppe Scrivano (already maintainer of icecat and
gcal) for taking on maintenance of GNU wget.

Several GNU packages are looking for maintainers and other assistance.

Please see <http://www.gnu.org/server/takeaction.html#unmaint> if you'd
like to help.  The general page on how to help GNU is at
<http://www.gnu.org/help/help.html>.  To submit new packages to GNU, see
<http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html>.

As always, please feel free to write to me, <karl en gnu.org>, with any
GNUish questions or suggestions for future installments.

## Richard Stallman's speaking schedule and other FSF events

2010-06-04 | A Free Digital Society
 Prishtina, Kosovo

* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20100604-fds-prishtina>

2010-06-20 | Free Software in Ethics and in Practice
 Al-Kurah, Lebanon

* <http://www.fsf.org/events/20100608-fsep-alkurah>

### Take action with the FSF

Contributions from thousands of individual members enable the FSF's
work. You can contribute by joining at <http://www.fsf.org/join>. If
you're already a member, you can help refer new members (and earn some
rewards) by adding a line with your member number to your email
signature like:

 I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
 <http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=2442>

The FSF is also always looking for volunteers
(<http://www.fsf.org/volunteer>). From rabble-rousing to hacking, from
issue coordination to envelope stuffing -- there's something here for
everybody to do. Also, head over to our campaign section
(<http://www.fsf.org/campaigns>) and take action on software patents,
DRM, free software adoption, OpenDocument, RIAA and more.

###

Copyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-No
Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this
license, visit <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/> or
send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San
Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

info-fsf mailing list
info-fsf en fsf.org
Unsubscribe: http://lists.fsf.org/mailman/listinfo/info-fsf