[Solar-general] Fwd: [Parrot-users] Parrot Babysteps - a PIR tutorial for novices - works on 2.6

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Jue Jul 22 03:36:29 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Wisti <brian.wisti en gmail.com>
Date: 2010/7/21
Subject: [Parrot-users] Parrot Babysteps - a PIR tutorial for novices
- works on 2.6
To: parrot-users en lists.parrot.org

Hey all,

This may be my first post to the mailing list. Anyways - I've got a
tutorial / journal / blog-type-thing about learning the basics of
Parrot PIR syntax and creating small projects. I thought that now
seemed like as good a time as any to mention it and also to mention
that it is now compatible with yesterday's 2.6 release.

   http://coolnamehere.com/geekery/parrot/learn/

The Parrot Babysteps are definitely for the novice. You won't master
PIR with them, you won't be making languages with them any time soon,
and you probably won't solve any of the world's problems with them.
However, you will hopefully have a better understanding of how to
accomplish simple tasks using Parrot after you've finished the steps.
I add to them when time allows, but my main point of pride is that I
keep the material relevant to whatever the latest supported release
happens to be. I even keep a github repository of the sample code and
tests to ensure that they behave the way I claim they do in the text
of the steps.

   http://github.com/brianwisti/parrot-babysteps

Please check out the Babysteps and let me know what you think! I would
love for those pages to become good enough that you feel comfortable
sending the link to your friends who say "Parrot sounds lovely, but
how do I get *started*?"

Kind Regards,

Brian Wisti
http://coolnamehere.com