[Solar-general] Spanish Interoperability Framework released

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Mar Feb 9 13:43:50 CET 2010

Mandatory open standards may strengthen Microsoft's dominance.

I will resume our experiences from Danmark where we since 2006 have
had a parliament decision on weak mandatory use of open standards
(comply or explain) in Danish state.

The problem is that Microsoft has very strong influence on ISO
concerning OOXML, and as you know OOXML has been adopted by ISO as an
open standard. They have succeeded in having the rejected parts of
OOXML adopted in a transitional variant of OOXML (OOMXM-Transition for
backward compatibility), and this stand does Microsofts Office comply
with. Now, what happens is that Microsoft puts extreme pressure on
government and politicians for having OOXML accepted as an open
standard, and indeed they have succeeded. The discussion is whether
OOXML-Transitional, or OOXML-Strict only, should be approved.
OOXML-Strict is not yet implemented by Microsoft, and it will take at
least 2 years before it is. Microsoft definitely dislikes that their
Microsoft Office should not comply with a mandatory open standard in
the next two or more years. If  OOXML-Transitional is approved, the
Danish state's IT-office may impose the "open standard"
OOXML-Transitional and Microsoft Office on all Danish state offices
(it doesn't matter that ODF is an open standard, too, except that a
few citizens will communicate with the state using that format).

Thus, the risk is that Microsoft's office standard may go from being a
de facto dominating standard to a de jure imposed standard! In short,
Microsoft is close to strengthen their position in Denmark. We have
been so lucky that there is an majority in the parliament against
adopting OOXML-Transitional. But, since Microsoft is close to dominate
ISO in this connection, the danger is that the distinction between
OOXML-Strict and OOXML-Transitional is blurred.

It is not a funny story to be told after you have done so much work
for open standards in Spain, I know.  I hope you forgive me.  But,
Microsoft goes absolutely mad if OOXML is not approved as an open
standard, because it threatens their entire business. They will use
any political mean at their disposition. So, if you are not
politically really, really, really clever in Spain, I guess you will
loose, and OOXML will be the Spanish government's open standard -
though ODF will be adopted for the sake of hypocrisy though it has
little importance.

Flemming

--
Diego Saravia