[Solar-general] firmware libre? zd1211

david fernandez rdavidgeek en gmail.com
Mie Ago 18 15:02:49 CEST 2010

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:44:00 +0000
From: Pablo Manuel Rizzo <info en pablorizzo.com>
Subject: Re: [Solar-general] firmware libre? zd1211
To: La lista de todos y todas en solar
       <solar-general en lists.ourproject.org>

2010/8/18 david fernandez <rdavidgeek en gmail.com>:
> Alguien me pude sacar esta duda, el firmware para las placas wifi que
poseen
> el controlador zydas zd1211 es libre? ya que en debian se lo tiene como no
> libre mientras que en parábola gnu/linux esta en los repositorios como
> libre.
> El driver es gpl peor el firmware no lo es, eso sabia hasta hace un año.

El firmware que se descarga de aquí

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zd1211/files/

dice que es GPL en el README, pero no queda claro, parece que en
realidad son GPL los headers, pero cuando hablan de "full source"
parece que dentro están los "blobs" y eso no indica si son código o
datos o si se sabe qué significa lo hay dentro:

README
________________
This distribution contains the firmware files for the
ZD1211 chip, which is used in WLAN USB sticks. Copy the zd1211_* files to
/lib/firmware/zd1211, where they can be loaded by the rewritten
zd1211 driver.

The files are generated from C header files distributed in the
original ZyDAS ZD1211 driver under the GNU Public License.

The full source of the original ZYDAS driver is available from
http://zd1211.wiki.sourceforge.net/VendorDriver

The GPL-licensed header files used to produce the firmware blobs are also
present in this distribution. See the COPYING file for the full license
terms.

HISTORY

VERSION 1.4 (2007-10-04)
Sync to vendor driver v2.21.0.0
According to Atheros, this firmware fixes a USB disconnect issue which most
commonly appeared when running "lsusb" or "cat /proc/usb/devices" while
using
the device.

VERSION 1.3 (2006-12-30)
Sync to vendor driver v2.16.0.0
Large packet support is now disabled. The zd1211 firmware is now the same as
v1.1 but the zd1211b firmware is new: It is the same which is shipped in the
2.10.0.0 release which supposedly fixes a "reboot issue"

VERSION 1.2 (2006-07-22)
Sync to vendor driver v2.13.0.0
Release notes mention that this firmware includes largepacket support

VERSION 1.1 (2006-04-30)
Added ZD1211B firmware files

VERSION 1.0 (2006-04-16)
This firmware has been generated from fersion 2_5_0_0 of the Zydas
driver, 2006-04-16.

--
Pablo Manuel Rizzo

--