[Solar-general] Linus y la nube

Sebastian Bassi sbassi en clubdelarazon.org
Lun Ene 26 05:37:30 CET 2009

En una entrevista en http://tinyurl.com/b7vuqf:

Pregunta: Another area where Linux is used extensively is in hosted
software or "cloud computing" where users don't have access to the
source code, is this a good or bad thing?

Respuesta de Linus: It is to some degree inevitable as within certain
classes of software it's the only model that makes sense. Look at
Google Maps. It does not make sense to have it on a device. The whole
idea is to have it on the cloud because the information is huge and
"out there". If that means the user never sees the source code it's
not something you complain about it. I'm happy with Linux being used
for that.

Projects that are specifically designed for software-as-a-service in
the backend, and only the output of the project is what gets
distributed, then use the Affero GPL. Linux is not that project.

One of the problems I had with GPL version 3 was it was possible to
add Affero-like extensions and "licence creep" happened which can make
future versions of software licence incompatible with previous
versions.