[Solar-general] freegans (para hacer frente a la crisis?)

Marcos Guglielmetti marcos en ovejafm.com
Jue Oct 23 05:55:22 CEST 2008

http://www.freegan.info/

What is a Freegan?

Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based
on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal
consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity,
social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a
society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity,
and greed.

After years of trying to boycott products from unethical corporations
responsible for human rights violations, environmental destruction,
and animal abuse, many of us found that no matter what we bought we
ended up supporting something deplorable. We came to realize that the
problem isn't just a few bad corporations but the entire system
itself.

Freeganism is a total boycott of an economic system where the profit
motive has eclipsed ethical considerations and where massively
complex systems of productions ensure that all the products we buy
will have detrimental impacts most of which we may never even
consider. Thus, instead of avoiding the purchase of products from one
bad company only to support another, we avoid buying anything to the
greatest degree we are able.

The word freegan is compounded from "free" and "vegan". Vegans are
people who avoid products from animal sources or products tested on
animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this a
step further by recognizing that in a complex, industrial,
mass-production economy driven by profit, abuses of humans, animals,
and the earth abound at all levels of production (from acquisition to
raw materials to production to transportation) and in just about
every product we buy. Sweatshop labor, rainforest destruction, global
warming, displacement of indigenous communities, air and water
pollution, eradication of wildlife on farmland as "pests", the
violent overthrow of popularly elected governments to maintain puppet
dictators compliant to big business interests, open-pit strip mining,
oil drilling in environmentally sensitive areas, union busting, child
slavery, and payoffs to repressive regimes are just some of the many
impacts of the seemingly innocuous consumer products we consume every
day.

Freegans employ a range of strategies for practical living based on
our principles:

Waste Reclamation
We live in an economic system where sellers only value land and
commodities relative to their capacity to generate profit. Consumers
are constantly being bombarded with advertising telling them to
discard and replace the goods they already have because this
increases sales. This practice of affluent societies produces an
amount of waste so enormous that many people can be fed and supported
simply on its trash. As freegans we forage instead of buying to avoid
being wasteful consumers ourselves, to politically challenge the
injustice of allowing vital resources to be wasted while multitudes
lack basic necessities like food, clothing, and shelter, and to
reduce the waste going to landfills and incinerators which are
disproportionately situated within poor, non-white neighborhoods,
where they cause elevated levels of cancer and asthma.

Perhaps the most notorious freegan strategy is what is commonly
called "urban foraging" or "dumpster diving". This technique involves
rummaging through the garbage of retailers, residences, offices, and
other facilities for useful goods. Despite our society's sterotypes
about garbage, the goods recovered by freegans are safe, useable,
clean, and in perfect or near-perfect condition, a symptom of a
throwaway culture that encourages us to constantly replace our older
goods with newer ones, and where retailers plan high-volume product
disposal as part of their economic model. Some urban foragers go at
it alone, others dive in groups, but we always share the discoveries
openly with one another and with anyone along the way who wants them.
Groups like Food Not Bombs recover foods that would otherwise go to
waste and use them to prepare meals to share in public places with
anyone who wishes to partake.

By recovering the discards of retailers, offices, schools, homes,
hotels, or anywhere by rummaging through their trash bins, dumpsters,
and trash bags, freegans are able to obtain food, beverages, books,
toiletries magazines, comic books, newspapers, videos, kitchenware,
appliances, music (CDs, cassettes, records, etc.), carpets, musical
instruments, clothing, rollerblades, scooters, furniture, vitamins,
electronics, animal care products, games, toys, bicycles, artwork,
and just about any other type of consumer good. Rather than
contributing to further waste, freegans curtail garbage and
pollution, reducing the over-all volume in the waste stream.

Lots of used items can also be found for free or shared with others on
websites like Freecycle and in the free section of your local
Craigslist. To dispose of useful materials check out the EPA's
Materials and Waste Exchanges directory. In communities around the
country, people are holding events like "Really, Really, Free
Markets" and "Freemeets". These events are akin to flea markets with
free items. People bring items to share with others. They give and
take but not a dollar is exchanged. When freegans do need to buy, we
buy second-hand goods which reduces production and supports reusing
and reducing what would have been wasted without providing any
additional funds for new production.

Waste Minimization
Because of our frequent sojourns into the discards our throwaway
society, freegans are very aware of and disgusted by the enormous
amounts of waste the average US consumer generates and thus choose
not to be a part of the problem. So, freegans scrupulously recycle,
compost organic matter into topsoil, and repair rather than replace
items whenever possible. Anything unusable by us, we redistribute to
our friends, at freemarkets, or using internet services like
freecycle and craigslist.

Eco-Friendly Transportation
Freegans recognize the disastrous social and ecological impacts of the
automobile. We all know that automobiles cause pollution created from
the burning of petroleum but we usually don't think of the other
destruction factors like forests being eliminated from road building
in wilderness areas and collision deaths of humans and wildlife. As
well, the massive oil use today creates the economic impetus for
slaughter in Iraq and all over the world. Therefore, freegans choose
not to use cars for the most part. Rather, we use other methods of
transportation including trainhopping, hitchhiking, walking, skating,
and biking. Hitchhiking fills up room in a car that would have been
unused otherwise and therefore it does not add to the overall
consumption of cars and gasoline.

Some freegans find at least some use of cars unavoidable so we try to
eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels by using cars with desiel
engines converted to run on “greisel” or "veggie-oil" literally
fueling our cars with used fryer oil from restaurants - another
example of diverting waste for practical use. Volunteer groups are
forming everywhere to assist people in converting diesel engines to
run on vegetable oil.

Rent-Free Housing
Freegans believe that housing is a RIGHT, not a privilege. Just as
freegans consider it an atrocity for people to starve while food is
thrown away, we are also outraged that people literally freeze to
death on the streets while landlords and cities keep buildings
boarded up and vacant because they can’t turn a profit on making them
available as housing.

Squatters are people who occupy and rehabilitate abandoned, decrepit
buildings. Squatters believe that real human needs are more important
than abstract notions of private property, and that those who hold
deed to buildings but won’t allow people to live in them, even in
places where housing is vitally needed, don’t deserve to own those
buildings. In addition to living areas, squatters often convert
abandoned buildings into community centers with programs including
art activities for children, environmental education, meetings of
community organizations, and more.

Going Green
We live in a society where the foods that we eat are often grown a
world away, over processed, and then transported long distances to be
stored for too long, all at a high ecological cost. Because of this
process, we've lost appreciation for the changes in season and the
cycles of life but some of us are reconnecting to the Earth through
gardening and wild foraging.

Many urban ecologists have been turning garbage-filled abandoned lots
into verdant community garden plots. In neighborhoods where stores
are more likely to carry junk food than fresh greens, community
gardens provide a health food source. Where the air is choked with
asthma inducing pollutants, the trees in community gardens produce
oxygen. In landscapes dominated by brick, concrete, and asphalt,
community gardens provide an oasis of plants, open spaces, and places
for communities to come together, work together, share food, grow
together, and break down the barriers that keep people apart in a
society where we have all become too isolated from one another.

Wild foragers demonstrate that we can feed ourselves without
supermarkets and treat our illnesses without pharmacies by
familiarizing ourselves with the edible and medicinal plants growing
all around us. Even city parks can yield useful foods and medicines,
giving us a renewed appreciation of the reality that our sustenance
comes ultimately not from corporate food producers, but from the
Earth itself. Others take the foraging lifestyle even farther,
removing themselves from urban and suburban concepts and attempting
to "go feral" by building communities in the wilderness based on
primitive survival skills.

Working Less / Voluntary Joblessness
How much of our lives do we sacrifice to pay bills and buy more stuff?
For most of us, work means sacrificing our freedom to take orders
from someone else, stress, boredom, monotony, and in many cases risks
to our physical and psychological well-being.

Once we realize that it's not a few bad products or a few egregious
companies responsible for the social and ecological abuses in our
world but rather the entire system we are working in, we begin to
realize that, as workers, we are cogs in a machine of violence,
death, exploitation, and destruction. Is the retail clerk who rings
up a cut of veal any less responsible for the cruelty of factory
farming than the farm worker? What about the ad designer who finds
ways to make the product palatable? How about the accountant who does
the grocery’s books and allows it to stay in business? Or the worker
in the factory that manufacturers refrigerator cases? And, of course,
the high level managers of the corporations bear the greatest
responsibility of all for they make the decisions which causes the
destruction and waste. You don't have to own stock in a corporation
or own a factory or chemical plant to be held to blame.

By accounting for the basic necessities of food, clothing, housing,
furniture, and transportation without spending a dime, freegans are
able to greatly reduce or altogether eliminate the need to constantly
be employed. We can instead devote our time to caring for our
families, volunteering in our communities, and joining activist
groups to fight the practices of the corporations who would otherwise
be bossing us around at work. For some, total unemployment isn’t an
option — it’s far harder to find free dental surgery than a free
bookcase on the curb — but by limiting our financial needs, even
those of us who need to work can place conscious limits on how much
we work, take control of our lives, and escape the constant pressure
to make ends meet. But even if we must work, we need not cede total
control to the bosses. The freegan spirit of cooperative empowerment
can be extended into the workplace as part of worker-led unions like
the Industrial Workers of the World.

For additional definitions of freeganism, click here.

--
Marcos Libre
(podés emplearme con cualquier fin, estudiarme, copiarme y mejorarme,

Ingresá ya a MSN en Concierto y disfrutá los recitales en vivo con tus
verdugos favoritos.
http://msninconcert.msn.com/music/archive/es-la/archive.aspx

www.ovejafm.com | Oveja Electrónica
Software Libre en FM Futura 90.5 y en Internet