[Solar-general] multa a ms

dario balozzi dbalozzi en gmail.com
Jue Feb 28 03:53:04 CET 2008

Y por casa ( Argentina ) como andamos con las "comisiones de defensa
de la competencia" ? Alguna arremetida contra corporaciones ? o todo
tranquilo?  ;-)

Aca unos extractos de la press release de la EC

http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=-8717117502868285778&hl=es

Idem aca ( pero requiere registracion ):

http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/ebs/schedule.cfm?date=02/27/2008#s68899

Algunos extractos interesantes de dicha conferencia de prensa:

"
There are lessons that I hope Microsoft and any other company
contemplating similar illegal action, will learn.

    Talk, as you know, is cheap; flouting the rules is expensive, so to say.

    We don't want talk and promises, we want compliance.

    If you flout the rules you will be caught, and it will cost you dear.

This is by the way the third time in four years that we have had to
impose fines or penalty payments on Microsoft. The first fine as you
remember was for the abuse itself, everything up until March 2004.
Then, the Commission had to impose a penalty payment in July 2006 for
the non-delivery of complete and accurate interoperability
information. And that was the first time that a penalty payment for
non-compliance with a Commission decision had been necessary in fifty
years of EC Competition Law.

Finally, after three years of illegal behavior, it appears that
Microsoft has come into compliance with the 2004 decision.

And as you are aware one concerns interoperability information across
a broad range of products, including Microsoft's Office suite and a
number of its server products. And the other concerns tying of
Internet Explorer and other separate software products with the
Microsoft PC operating system.

Those investigations are separate and continuing, and I can offer no
comment until the investigation is complete. But you are not expecting
any comment on that one.

But again, and I stress that a press release in itself, such as that
issued by Microsoft last week on interoperability principles, does not
necessarily equal a change in a business practice.

And if change is needed -- and as I say, I have reached no conclusion
on that -- then the change will need to be in the market, not in the
rhetoric. We do have some experience on that.

To finish, I think it is important to share a little insight into our
consistent approach to illegal behavior. It's not my job to tell
people or to tell companies what to buy, but it is my job to ensure
they have a choice about what they can buy. Competition policy is
about making sure that people and companies have the right to choose.
And when people and companies are given that right to choose, then
markets deliver so much more -- and that is why I am passionate about
making markets work better.

And today's decision sends, again, a strong signal that consumers can
expect choice in Europe and can expect the European Commission to
fight for their right to choice.
"