[Solar-general] Fwd: [hipatia] GNU Telephony Secure Calling Introduced

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Lun Oct 2 03:59:47 CEST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Sugar <dyfet en hipatia.info>
Date: 01-oct-2006 19:16
Subject: [hipatia] GNU Telephony Secure Calling Introduced
To: Coordinadores de Hipatia <coordinadores-hipatia en listas.hipatia.info>

Friends,

starting today we are releasing the GNU RTP Stack with support for the
"Secure RTP profile", RFC 3711, which allows for encryption of voice
calls over VOIP.  In addition, we are releasing native support for Phil
Zimmermann's ZRTP protocol, which offers a complete and transparent way
to transfer encrypted voice over existing infrastructure.  This work was
completed for the GNU RTP stack outside of the United States with the
incredible effort of Werner Dittmann, and extensive help by Michel de
Boer, who works on the Twinkle Softphone.

These efforts together represent the first step of how I envision we can
provide intercept-free communications worldwide, both privately and over
the public Internet.  In addition, it has been well demonstrated by
recent events how important it is to secure call session information
from passive data mining, which we will do through TLS enabled SIP in
the future, and to obscure the ip address of communicating endpoints,
such as through the use of anonymous RTP proxies.

The initial results of this work is now immediately usable by everyone
today, starting with GNU ccrtp 1.5.0, the new libzrtpcpp 0.9.0, and the
0.9 release of the Twinkle softphone client, which supports the SRTP
and ZRTP functions offered in our new release of the GNU RTP Stack.

I will comment much more on Secure Calling in the near future.

Downloads:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/commoncpp/commoncpp2-1.5.0.tar.gz
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ccrtp/ccrtp-1.5.0.tar.gz
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ccrtp/libzrtpcpp-0.9.0.tar.gz