[Solar-general] Fw: declaracion de la India

Diego Saravia dsa en unsa.edu.ar
Mar Mayo 31 18:02:51 CEST 2005

http://fsfs.hipatia.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://fsfs.hipatia.net/

>From Thiruvananthapuram Declaration

FREE SOFTWARE, FREE SOCIETY

The Thiruvananthapuram Declaration

May 29, 2005

We are currently living in a world that is increasingly getting interconnected
and the issues of our concern are becoming global. Along the way, new
Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) transformed the process of
knowledge construction and dissemination in our society. This process is
transforming other fields of human creativity as well — including music,
painting or writing. Human history is calling us to take note of this change.
Creative works today live in a digital world, travel at the speed of light,
get transformed in seconds, become part of several other creations, and grow
in a number of other ways.

As society transforms drastically, we — students, engineers, IT professionals,
social activists, lawyers, elected public representatives, media persons,
film-makers and concerned citizens — urge our world to take note of the
immense potential opening up for humanity, and to ensure that technology is
harnessed in the needs of the time to tackle the wider concerns of our planet.

Free Software has convincingly demonstrated to the world we know that
knowledge building is enhanced by freedom, openness and social consciousness;
and that such features are very effective in creating a fairer society and
enhance the cause of the social good.

In the new networked and digitized society, the intangible (non-materialistic)
aspects of reality are becoming more important in comparison with the material
ones. Several years of material-centered development has not helped humanity
to create a better world for all; or even for the majority on this planet.

To face the challenges of the day, we need a new model of development centered
around non material aspects of life — including collaboration, sharing, and
compassion. Such a society is evolving today on the foundations of freedom,
collaboration and shared knowledge.

We call it the gnowledge society (see http://www.gnowledge.org).

In our view, the gnowledge society will and must prefer:

freedom over bondage; sharing over monopoly; public good over private profit;
participation over exclusion; cooperation over competition; diversity over
uniformity.

We find that patent, copyright and other legal and institutional systems
related to human knowledge are not suitable for the development of the
gnowledge society. These systems were created during the industrial
revolution, and then continued in spite of major changes in how technology
shapes our lives. These systems were not designed for, and therefore cannot
cater to, the emerging gnowledge society. For the development of human
society, it is imperative that we promote the collaborative development and
free sharing of knowledge.

Such principles are not only consistent with, but even mandated by, the spirit
of human rights as defined by the present legal system.

We, the participants at the Free Software, Free Society conference in
Thiruvananthapuram underline the following:

We call upon the social and political institutions to eliminate systems that
hinder the development of the gnowledge society.

We demand that every human being works for a more fair distribution of
knowledge for all, and for a world based on knowledge sharing and collaboration.

Agreed upon in Thiruvananthapuram, South India, amongst the participants at
the Free Software, Free Society Conference, by participants from the countries of:
Bangladesh,
Brazil,
India,
Italy,
Norway
Uruguay
Venezuela.

The Name of the City:

Thiru-v-Anantha-Puram is the three syllable name meaning,
'The abode of the sacred snake god -- Anantha'.

Lord Vishnu of the ancient Indian mythology rests on this
huge serpent.

The city is also popularly known by its anglicised name "Trivandrum".

--
Diego Saravia
dsa en unsa.edu.ar