[Solar-general] Fwd: Ubuntu Website Look'n'Feel Contest

Enrique A. Chaparro echaparro en uolsinectis.com.ar
Mar Ene 18 17:19:19 CET 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:21:32 -0300
Mauro Lacy <mauro en lacy.com.ar> wrote:

ML> Acá se nota la importancia de la ideología en la elección de la
ML> distribución a usar, no me sorprendería que en unos meses o años
ML> Ubuntu se "cierre" como se cerró Redhat, y sea uno más de los linux
ML> "propietarios" como Mandrake, Xandros, etc

Mauro,
Mandrake no es "propietario como Xandros": la edición download contiene
sólo software libre; y todas las herramientas propias de Mandrake que
están incluidas en sus distribuciones (las interfaces gráficas de
administración, urpmi, etc.) están licenciadas bajo licencias libres.
De todas las empresas que venden distros, Madrake es con mucho la que
más respeta los principios del SL. Esta es su política oficial:

<CITA>
	* * * MandrakeSoft's 8 Golden Rules * * *

1) Software updates for all Mandrake products

Official MandrakeSoft software updates -- including bug fixes and
security updates -- will remain freely available for all public
supported products, according to the official product lifetime table.

2) Product lifetimes are not hidden

A product lifetime table for all major MandrakeSoft products is
publicly available on the Mandrake Linux website. For example, the
Mandrake Linux 9.2 Download, Discovery, PowerPack and ProSuite
editions will be supported with core updates until March 30, 2005.

3) Product lifetimes do not change during a product's lifetime

The support lifetimes are respected, and may sometimes even be extended.

4) Free as in 'Libre' and Free as in 'Beer'!

A download version of Mandrake Linux, consisting entirely of Open
Source software, will continue to be released, provided without cost,
and supported.

5) MandrakeSoft's code conforms to the GPL

ALL applications created by MandrakeSoft, such as the Mandrake Linux
installer and Linux configuration utilities, are released under the
General Public License. Our firm commitment to the GPL is the
appropriate way to "give back" to the Free Software community.

6) Mandrake Linux -- A true Open Source project

The development of Mandrake Linux is conducted entirely in accordance
to the Open Source spirit. Development of Mandrake Linux products are
based on "Cooker", which is a publicly available development platform
and community. Cooker provides complete access to:

a) Source code -- through a CVS repository
b) Direct communication with developers -- through numerous mailing-lists
c) And a 'Wiki' collaborative website

7) The choice of free support...

All Mandrake Linux users have free access to the community-supported
MandrakeExpert.com support platform.

8) MandrakeSoft listens to you...

MandrakeSoft encourages and welcomes feedback and suggestions from its
base of users, thereby releasing products that better match the users'
needs.
<FIN DE CITA>

Saludos,

Enrique