[Solar-general] FUD de MS: Salvando el orto (ultimo comentario mio). Advertencia: Texto en ingles.

Sebastian Bassi sbassi en asalup.org
Dom Mar 28 20:49:01 CEST 2004

En base a este comentario aparecido en Newsforge, me doy cuenta que me
equivoqué un poco con mi primer comentario en esta lista. Básicamente en
creer que el folleto original de MS (hecho en Mac) tenia por objetivo
convencer a alguien.
Me parece muy importante que los que puedan leer en inglés lean esto, no
creo todo lo que dice ahi, pero si el concepto mas importante: El
folleto de MS no es para convencer a nadie, sino para que los gerentes
y/o administradores puedan cubrirse el orto ante cualquier problema. No
importa si mañana sale un virus que se coma todos los .doc o lo que sea,
ellos (los que toman las decisiones) ya hicieron su trabajo de comparar
las alternativas. Bueno, lean la nota que lo dice mucho mejor que yo (en
especial a partir del 3er parrafo).

Recognize the articles for what they are (Score:1)
by Fonze (186447) on 2004.03.28 0:11 (#88921)
The Microsoft web site where the articles in question appear (there are
more fud articles than just the Office suite article) was brought to my
attention about a week ago. I think it was a Newsforge article that
mentioned it earlier. I checked the other articles as well, and they
also contain fud. But the Office article is Microsoft's response to
their losing their shirt (and their 80% monopoly profit margin) due to
their failure to compete with OpenOffice.org (hold your keyboards,
Microsofties, we'll compare my claim over the next couple of quarters).
I considered doing exactly what the author above did, taking apart their
Office article line by line, paragraph by paragraph, simply because it
was so easy. But I decided against it for two reasons. The first is that
if this is the best they can do, why alert them? They are reading (and
posting ala OS/2 wars style like they did on Compuserve and other boards
during the OS/2 wars) Newforge and Slashdot regularly. They aren't just
reading the sites, they are mirroring them internally so they can
"study" us, to find the weaknesses and points of attack. So why point
out the blatent errors in their articles, so they can make changes,
enabling them to better withstand criticism?

The articles are a complete disaster, especially when they really stick
their foot in their mouth about security. But it isn't just the security
part. The article is bad all over. So why help them strengthen the
article? Either they are totally unable to answer OpenOffice.org's
threat, or the person(s) who put the article together are totally
incompetent. Either way, it is a win for the GPL community.

The articles on that Microsoft page are not there to convince the
converted. They are there so that CIOs and admins can have some
documentation to cover their asses in their decision to sign that
multi-year contract with Microsoft. That's what a large part of the
community forgets. Most of the studies put out by
Microsoft/Enderle/Didio/IDC/Gartner/Yankee are put out so that the suits
can justify their decisions, and cover their asses. They already have
their minds made up about what they are going to do. But along with
choices, come chances. Why risk you job over a decision that can
materially affect the company? Get the studies, stack the paperwork, and
blame the studies and analysts when the next worm wipes out several
million dollars of productivity and document reconstruction costs, and
when the BSA comes a knockin'. The experts said to jump, we jumped!

A company that has already made the decision to go with OpenOffice.org
on Linux is a company that Microsoft is no longer interested in. Ask
Largo. Microsoft (or was it Sun prior to their rebranding Linux as
Java?) went sniffing around, and they didn't bother making an offer when
they saw the setup. Didn't even bother to make an offer.

Microsoft's intent with the articles are for the suits who need to cover
their asses over their decisions, and for the suits who don't have a
clue. I'm still running into small business people who don't know what
Linux is (they heard the name Linux, but that's about it) and their
reaction when I tell them that Linux doesn't have a virus problem like
Windows is disbelief. Then the next reaction is "gimme" when I offer
them a Knoppix CD. So Microsoft's hope is to continue picking off suits
who don't have a clue, and therefore have no knowledge to refute the
claims made in the paper. And their hope, and tactic, is to bury them in
studies, and to gloss over the competitive facts, and to change the
subject to their strengths, while avoiding like the plague the
weaknesses in their comparisons. So if someone brings up, "well, I heard
this, I read this", the sales force comes back with, "well, we have this
study that shows this, and this other study that shows what I was
talking about earlier, and this other study..." and the point the suit
was making is already three points removed in about ten seconds. And
there are studies to prove it. And the second salesman moves on to
another area, to further move away from the weaknesses.

Microsoft knows that admins and CIOs need studies to back up their
decisions, and Microsoft is happily providing the studies for them? Are
they flawed? You bet. Will the CEOs and CFOs know they are flawed, and
that the CIOs and admins shouldn't have used them to begin with, or was
using them to cover their asses? Fat chance. Especially when buried in
so many other studies that the CEOs and CFOs will never lift a finger to
read. They are providing excuses for the CIOs, for the admins, for the
Microsoft salesforce, and the salesforces of their VARs. That's it. It
really is that simple.

IBM, Novell, Red Hat, and others in the market would be wise to sit up
and take notice. And start sponsoring their own biased articles and
studies. The problem IBM, Red Hat, and others are going to run into, is
that the geeks will tear them apart if they start putting out garbage
like Microsoft is doing. But that's good, because it will force them to
strengthen the argument. And this can only be a winning position,
because on the merits, the GPL conquers all (sorry BSD, you had what?
10+ years to breakout, and you failed, no flame war intended).

Bill and Steve identified Linux as their number one threat years ago.
The actual threat is the GPL license, not Linux, because it is the GPL
that has prevented them from 1. buying out Linux, and 2. incorporating
the code, like they were able to do with BSD. But they have identified
one of the tools that the GPL is using to tear them a new asshole,
Linux. The question for IBM, Red Hat, and other wannabees becomes, are
you willing to step into the fire, and fight fire with fire? Are you
willing to open the pocket books, and get the studies out there, the
real world cases that other CIOs can point to, to justify moving a
Fortune 1000 company to GNU/Linux, desktop and all?

Big Blue made a lot of noise about spending a billion dollars on Linux a
few years ago. Lately, there has been a big void in the case studies
that should be put out to justify the moves. I have yet to see studies
that document how much it costs to keep track of licenses. How much per
hour/per employee virus downtime costs. How much virus re-imaging costs.
How much windows reboots cost. How much a BSA audit threat costs in
bringing everything into compliance suddenly, within the time period
allowed by the BSA audit letter, and within the time period stated in
the Microsoft and other proprietary licenses. Has IBM made any
conversions from Windows to Linux, including desktops? What are the cost
savings? Hardware? Viruses? Everything else outlined here?

The only reports I've seen are one report from a company in Italy that
replaced all Windows and went 100% GNU/Linux, and quantified the virus
savings and reboot costs, and hardware savings costs, and saved
tremendously. And this was for less than a thousand seats, possibly a
couple hundred iirc, and the savings were in the hundreds of thousands,
starting from the very first year. Don't remember where I saw the story,
maybe here on Newforge, maybe someone who remembers what I'm talking
about can provide a link. I'm sure I archived it, but I won't be able to
find it for quite a while. Sun also put out another study having to do
with server downtime, to sell their grossly overpriced servers. They
justified their ridiculous pricing by getting lucky on an installation,
where Sun stayed up a little longer, and the downtime costs were over
$100,000 an hour (minute?), and therefore, taking into consideration
downtime, their ridiculously priced servers came out cheaper. The point
is, where are IBM's studies on what I've outlined? IBM still afraid of
stepping on Bill's toes? Where are Red Hat's studies then? Oh, I forgot,
RHAS has the same audit sledgehammer, so that's out. Someone else?
Anyone? Anyone willing to spend the money? Release the data? Risk
offending Microsoft for telling the truth? Anyone?

IBM, if you haven't figured it out yet, Microsoft is dead in a couple of
years. They'll still make some money, but what happens to a company that
suddenly turns into a "shrink" company, instead of a growth company? Oh
yeah, this [reuters.com]. And then this [house.gov] And then this [sec.gov]

Don't forget that brokers still had buy ratings on companies
[securitiesfraudfyi.com] the same week they filed for bankruptcy
[fraud911.com]. The same will be true for Microsoft. First will come the
stock collapse. Then the investigations. Then the charges. Then the
settlements without admitting guilt. And the retail investors, like
moths to a flame, will yell bloody murder, will demand restitution, and
will be left holding the bag. As they should.