[Solar-coop] {Spam?} was principally filled by the enlarged heart, to wh

Penticoff summary en exciet.co.uk
Lun Mar 22 19:27:14 CET 2010

He 10th of May, after having passed an unusually comfortable night, he rose and left his chamber for five or six hours, then retiring to it again, said he would be tapped that
day, and, after
lying down, was quitted by his attendant, who went in an hour after
and found him dead. This was rather unexpected,

for he had the appearance of sufficient vigour to struggle with disease three or four weeks longer.
A number of medical gentlemen being assembled, as has been usual on these occasions, we first remarked, that the face was swollen, and extraordinarily livid; for, although
a considerable degree of lividity, and sometimes of redness, after death, is peculiar
to these cases, we had seen none which resembled this. Hard and prominent purple spots were observed upon the shoulders, side, and back. The surface of the body was moderately covered with fat; the legs and abdomen were much swollen with water,

the arms more slightly. The integuments of the thorax being cut through, the cellular membrane discharged a

serous fluid from every part; these being turned aside, to lay bare the cartilages of the ribs, we found them completely ossified; and having divided them, with a saw, the

cavity of the thorax was opened. The cellular membrane, inside the thorax,
about the mediastinum,
had not so bloody an appearance as we witnessed in the

preceding cases, nor were the lungs, either externally or internally, so dark coloured as usual, though they were much darker, firmer, and more filled with blood, than is common in subjects of other
diseases. The lungs of the left side adhered closely to the pleura costalis, and those of the right were tied by loose and membranous adhesions; beside which there was no appearance of
disease about them. The cavity of the pleura did not contain any water; that of the pericardium held about six ounces. The anterior surface of the heart exhibited a considerable whiteness of its coat over
the coronary arteries. This appearance
differed from that of other cases, in being contained in the substance
of the membrane, instead of lying on its surface; and, either from this circumstance, or from th