[Solar-coop] now good and evil." Our fathers, of C

Opitz closer en connectedly.be
Dom Dic 6 07:05:48 CET 2009

He ratio of the circulation and influence of the Bible. The relation
between the state and its citizens the Bible recognizes as of divine
appointment; the foundation of civil government is the will of God.
Government is an ordinance of God. "The powers that be are ordained of
God." The great author of our rights, life, liberty, peace, order,
public morals and religion, has not left these interests to chance,
anarchy or the social compact. Rulers were ordained of God, and are
rulers, not for their own exaltation, but for the tranquility, virtue
and peace of the governed. Where are the Pagan rulers who were taught
this great lesson so as to feel its importance? When have they respected
the rights of the people? Where have anti-Christian or Pagan nations, in
a single instance, been actuated by any motive save the restless,
factious determination to sink one tyrant for the sake of elevating
another? In Christian lands a free and virtuous people limit the
authority of rulers and assert the rights of citizens. In our country a
mass of public virtue and a weight of moral influence, that restrains
the wrath of man, keeps us from being involved in an ocean of blood at
every popular election. We are not repeating the history of Rome