[Solar-accesible] presentl

Holsten sophistry at spikkel.com
Fri Dec 25 15:34:57 CET 2009

Ld pass muster well enough for a gold florin, unless closely examined.]
[Footnote 302: _Il palio_, a race anciently run at Florence on St.
John's Day, as that of the Barberi at Rome during the Carnival.] THE
FOURTH STORY [Day the Sixth] CHICHIBIO, COOK TO CURRADO GIANFIGLIAZZI,
WITH A READY WORD SPOKEN TO SAVE HIMSELF, TURNETH HIS MASTER'S ANGER
INTO LAUGHTER AND ESCAPETH THE PUNISHMENT THREATENED HIM BY THE LATTER
Lauretta being silent and Nonna having been mightily commended of all,
the queen charged Neifile to follow on, and she said, "Although,
lovesome ladies, a ready wit doth often furnish folk with words both
prompt and useful and goodly, according to the circumstances, yet
fortune whiles cometh to the help of the fearful and putteth of a sudden
into their mouths such answers as might never of malice aforethought be
found of the speaker, as I purpose to show you by my story. Currado
Gianfigliazzi, as each of you ladies may have both heard and seen, hath
still been a noble citizen of our city, liberal and magnificent, and
leading a knightly life, hath ever, letting be for the present his
weightier doings, taken delight in hawks and hounds. Having one day with
a falcon of his brought down a crane and finding it young and fat, he
sent it to a good cook he had, a Venetian hight Chichibio, bidding him
roast it for supper and dress it well. Chichibio, who looked the
new-caught gull he was, trussed the crane and setting it to the fire,
proceeded to cook it diligently. When it was all but done and gave out a
very savoury smell, it chanced that a wench of the neighbourhood,
Brunetta by name, of whom Chichibio was sore enamoured, entered the
kitchen and smelling the crane and seeing it, instantly besought him to
give her a thigh thereof. He answered her, singing, and said, 'Thou
shalt not have it from me, Mistress Brunetta, thou shalt not have it
from me.' Whereat she, being vexed, said to him, 'By God His faith, an
thou give it me not, thou shalt never have of me aught that shall
pleasure thee.' In brief, many were the words between them and at last,
Chichibio, not to anger his mistress, cut off one of the thighs of the
crane and gave it her. The bird being after set before Messer Currado
and certain stranger guests of his, lacking a thigh, and the former
marvelling thereat, he let call Chichibio and asked him what was come of
the other thigh; whereto the liar