[soilhack-announce] Questions and thoughts on gathering

robert duke robertiduke at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 11 19:28:06 CEST 2017

Hello to you all!
It was great to be at the Soil Hack's first gathering and meet you.
I have an apology to make for my lack of talk whilst demonstrating the "cone pit" demo - this was my first "quicky- micro pit" and my thoughts were taken up with achieving a complete burn to char! and I should have covered much more information.
To Brian,  "the role of tree roots in soil- good thing or bad thing? Do the trees rob nutrients from the soil?"

The trees form a sybiotic relationship with the soil organisms with exchanges of nutrients from photosynthesis in the form of exudates from the roots. It is said that up to 40% of the plants total nutrient production from photosynthesis is sent via the phloem to form root exudates. This video link of Joel Williams presentation has some great info on the soil/microorganism/plant relationship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFrm-wst8c

Warm Regards
Robert