[soilhack-announce] Ecosystem Restoration Camps

Adam Ormes Court ormus23 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:33:50 CET 2017

News from Camp Altiplano, an update on the crowdfunding campaign, the La
Muela restoration project, and a series of exciting talks in London.

[image: Ecosystem Restoration Cooperative]
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=0f4c38eb81&e=90f818b90d>December
Newsletter

Dear Adam,

This month’s newsletter includes; news from Camp Altiplano, updates on the
crowdfunding campaign, the La Muela restoration project in the Murcia
region, and a series of exciting talks in London with a special invitation
for our members.
Guests and Goodbyes at Camp Altiplano
Last month many visitors came to Camp Altiplano in Southern Spain. Jonathan
Church shares from camp:

"During the second weekend of November, we at Camp Altiplano were happy to
receive a visit from Rhamis Kent, Giuseppe Tallarico and Weruschca
Kirkegaard. We were seriously lucky to have so much ecosystem restoration
knowledge at our camp all at once. Together we surveyed the progress that
we’ve already made such as marking contours, making swales and planting
trees with mycorrhiza. Our visitors offered some invaluable advice on how
to move things forward.

They helped us in selecting the best methods to de-compact the soil
(Giuseppe’s piercing gaze may have already done half the job). For instance
we are now using a sub-soil ripper to break apart compaction of the whole
site in order to shatter the plough-pan and improve water retention. Not
long after their visit we’ve finally had some rain at camp so we are
getting on with this vital stage of restoring the land.“

The weekend following, Ecosystem Restoration Camps board members, Marieke,
Pieter, and Jan Hein visited the camp. We also welcomed Erin Beasley, one
of our valued Supervisory Board members, experienced in international
climate change policy and ecosystem protection and restoration. Inge,
active on the Communications and Education teams, arrived to join the La
Muela restoration project.

This was everyone’s first time experiencing Camp Altiplano first hand.
Furthermore, it was their first time to meet in person, see the degraded
soil, and feel the radiant sun of Andalusia. Having these meetings at camp
was a valuable experience, which strengthened our relationships and
motivation to realise our joint vision of restoring ecosystems worldwide!

This month Ecosystem Restoration Camps also said goodbye to Anne-Chloe in
her role as camp lead at Camp Altiplano. Anne-Chloe has been volunteering
her time for a full year, putting all her energy into the ERC. With her
knowledge in legal matters she helped with contracts and other legal
documentation. At the camp in Spain she played a much valued role as a camp
lead, including organising the La Muela restoration project. Thank you
Anne-Chloe for all the  time and energy you have invested in the first
phase of Camp Altiplano!
#LetsRestore! An update on our Fundraiser
To continue making our first camp a reality, we recently launched our
crowdfunding
campaign
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=395788b4c0&e=90f818b90d>.
Now, we are making steady progress, and we have raised over €8000 so far.
We have 25 days left, so let’s make use of the momentum to reach our goal!
Some of our great backer rewards include your very own tree for €75, a
Re-Generation festival Ticket, or your own Edible Ecosystem for €500.
(Choose Donate Now to see the Rewards
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=b0815416c6&e=90f818b90d>).
If you haven’t already done so, we invite you to join the movement. Make a
donation to the ERC and spread this campaign far and wide!
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=891ea6c8e9&e=90f818b90d>
#LetsRestore: Ecosystem Restoration Camps - Making it Happen
Visit the Campaign Page
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=11cdd5571f&e=90f818b90d>
Here are some other simple ways you can support the fundraising campaign:
  *1. Join our photo campaign*

Take a picture of yourself in your favourite green location with a simple
sign, which says #LetsRestore. Post this on social media, accompanied with
a personal message. For example: “Join me in the great work of our time.
#LetsRestore the Earth together. Support the Ecosystem Restoration Camps
crowdfunding campaign at *www.tiny.cc/letsrestore
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=1a25e763be&e=90f818b90d>
*
”
2. Add power with your network
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=aba11cd31c&e=90f818b90d>

Share the crowdfunding project on your social media with a personal
message. Even better, join our *Thunderclap campaign
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=f76d078026&e=90f818b90d>
today *and we will send a one time message on your Facebook, Twitter or
Tumblr account.

3. Tell your friends about us ♥︎

Send an individual email to your friends about this project and campaign.

4. Get organised!

See these ideas for a community event
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=71b7a8a064&e=90f818b90d>
available
on the ERC website.

5. Host a dinner party with friends

Keep it simple, or get creative with a “green theme,” or try a
local-organic potluck  (e.g. sourced within a 5km radius). At the dinner,
you can share the fundraiser video and encourage supporters to donate
through the ERC campaign online, or make a collective fund.
New Life for La Muela Mountain
For five weeks now, a team of various dedicated Ecosystem Restoration Camps
earth restorers has been climbing up and down the steep and rocky La Muela
mountain, located an hour away from the main camp. We have been digging
holes and building check dams, preparing for the planting of trees and
shrubs. Located near Velez Blanco, this is the biggest reforestation effort
undertaken in the region. Under the guidance of local ecologists of Alvelal
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=74312f1cec&e=90f818b90d>,
and thanks to the support of Ecosia
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=7289433f96&e=90f818b90d>.
we are helping restore this 10.000 acre expanse of wild land that has been
heavily degraded.

Last week, the weather was finally changing. After weeks of unrelenting
sunshine, clouds formed and the temperature dropped. At last, on Wednesday,
the rain came! This is so important, especially after three long months of
drought. With the arrival of the first rain, a variety of indigenous trees
and shrubs can be planted to give new life to the mountain. And when more
rain comes, our check dams can do their work, slowing down the water
streams, reducing erosion and catching sediments.

Other than the satisfaction of supporting new life on La Muela, the joy of
working hard in a team and living in a community, make this a worthwhile
experience. We have been sharing meals, stories from various countries,
music, and more. The La Muela team was also welcomed at the main Ecosystem
Restoration Camps camp for dinner last week. Earth restoration bringing
people together! We especially want to thank Justin Jones and Patrick
Stadler who have been working on the La Muela project from the very
beginning.
‘Re-imagine Land’ with John D. Liu, Maddy Harland and Mike Edwards
A conversation on Re-Imagining Land
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=817984926d&e=90f818b90d>
will take place in London on December 16th, as part of the Imagination
Series. This festival of talks and workshops will gather together some of
the brightest minds and most progressive actors in the areas of Fashion,
Community, Education, Economics and Land use. The festival takes place in
London in December, and if you are a member of the ERC you can purchase a
ticket for only £5 with the discount code from the last member newsletter
(or contact us if you can't find it). We invite you to meet with John D.
Liu and other Ecosystems Restoration Camps members after the event.

The special events of the Imagination Series:
Re-imagining Education
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=0063a2ac36&e=90f818b90d>
*Saturday 9 December 2017, 14:00 - 15:30, London Bridge*

Re-imagining Education, led by the creator of the radical Mistress Degree,
Kathleen Cassidy, explores and deconstructs our modern conventional
education systems.

Re-imagining Economics
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=371813deee&e=90f818b90d>
*Sunday 10 December 2017, 14:00 - 15:30, London Bridge*

Re-imagining Economics is an exploration of how money works, how the
economic system became what is it today, and how we can create something
fairer, greener and safer for everyone.

Re-imagining Land
<https://ecosystemrestorationcamps.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7141966b4ad3f285cdac5d03f&id=1f7122e523&e=90f818b90d>
*Saturday 16 December 2017, 13:30 - 15:00 London Bridge*

Re-imagining land will explore how we can transform our barren landscapes
into thriving zones of paradise, with John D. Liu, Maddy Harland and Mike
Edwards.

John Dennis Liu:

*“Each time I connect with the news I’m astonished. The world that I see
and the world on the tube don’t seem to be the same. (…) Why is that? Let’s
have a profound conversation about the world that we choose! A discussion,
some friendship and try within a limited group  to reach a collective
consciousness about what we want the world to be. This can give us ideas
and courage to steer our determination to create positive change in the
world.”*
We hope our news and updates inspire you

... in times where positive news seems scarce. Together we have the
knowledge and resources to make a difference. Let’s Restore Our Ecosystems!

*Best wishes, *
*The team at Ecosystem Restoration Camps*